Wayne Rooney: Man Utd confident forward will stay - David Gill
Outgoing David Gill is confident Wayne Rooney will stay at Old Trafford.
The 27-year-old England forward had a request to leave the Premier League champions rejected earlier this month.
"I'm confident he'll be there next season. He's a great player, it's a great club and the club doesn't want to lose its star players," said Gill.
"I'm confident when I sit in Old Trafford next season I'll see Wayne Rooney running out."
Rooney's future has been under scrutiny since he was omitted from United's starting line-up for their Champions League tie against Real Madrid on 5 March.
It was revealed by former manager Sir Alex Ferguson that Rooney had asked to leave the club for a second time, although United insist he is not for sale.
Although Rooney did not feature in Ferguson's final home match before retirement against Swansea, the former Everton man did join his team-mates in the Premier League title celebrations afterwards when United were presented with the trophy, receiving a mixed reception from supporters.
It is believed the arrival of David Moyes as Ferguson's successor could change Rooney's mind.
Moyes, who has signed a six-year contract with United, handed Rooney his Premier League debut at Everton as a 16-year-old in August 2002.
Speaking at the Uefa congress in London on Friday, Gill added: "As Alex said in his last press conference, Rooney is an issue for David Moyes and the new team to deal with.
"I'm sure every bit of work is being taken to ensure that happens."
Rooney moved to Old Trafford from Everton in a deal worth £27m in August 2004 and has since scored 197 goals in 402 appearances.