Chester 0-1 Alfreton Town
Shaun Harrad's second-half penalty secured victory for Alfreton at the expense of Chester, who remain in Conference Premier relegation trouble.
The home side went close early on when visiting goalkeeper Jon Worsnop went full length to deny Ross Killock.
But, just a minute after slicing wide of an open goal, John Akinde redeemed himself by earning Alfreton's penalty.
The striker was brought down on 66 minutes by home keeper Aaron Chapman, who was sent the wrong way by Harrad.
Alfreton's victory lifted then briefly to second. But, within an hour of the end of the game, they dropped back down to third when the Conference revealed that they had been deducted three points for fielding an unregistered player in the 3-1 win at Kidderminster Harriers in December.
After a second successive defeat, Steve Burr's Chester slip to 20th, just two points clear of safety, ahead of Tuesday's important home meeting with Merseyside rivals Southport - themselves in trouble near the bottom.
- 31ChapmanBooked at 65mins
- 27KillockSubstituted forHobsonat 19'minutes
- 15TurnerSubstituted forMenaghat 72'minutes
- 21MahonBooked at 62mins
- 19SeddonSubstituted forDanielsat 76'minutesBooked at 82mins
- 10BradleyBooked at 61mins
- 5WyldeBooked at 45minsSubstituted forKempsonat 45+5'minutes
- 25JonesSubstituted forMeadowsat 57'minutes
- 18AkindeBooked at 53minsSubstituted forClaytonat 75'minutes
- 24HarradBooked at 66mins
- Darren England
- Shots on Target