Scottish Championship - Play-offs - 2nd Leg

Dunfermline Athletic 0-3 Cowdenbeath (agg 1-4)

Thomas O'Brien celebrates

Cowdenbeath ensured they will remain in the Scottish Championship next season with a resounding victory against Dunfermline.

The writing was on the wall after Kane Hemmings opened the scoring with less than a minute on the clock.

And further goals from Thomas O'Brien and Greg Stewart compounded Dunfermline's misery in the Fife derby.

The result ended the Pars' hopes of promotion and consigns them to another term in League One.

The teams took to the pitch after a 1-1 draw in the first leg, and the East End Park faithful were awaiting a show.

But their spirits were dashed almost straight from kick-off thanks to Hemmings, who gave Cowdenbeath the lead with a neat finish after an assist from O'Brien.

The Blue Brazil dominated the opening stages, with Jimmy Nicholl's men flooding towards Ryan Scully's goal.

Dunfermline, who looked shell-shocked after conceding, started to find their feet and their best chance of the half came courtesy of striker Faissal El-Bakhtaoui, who did well to get free of the opposing backline and try his luck, but skewed his effort wide.

Greg Stewart nets the third goal for Cowdenbeath
Greg Stewart nets the third goal for Cowdenbeath

Following that sight of goal, the home side upped the tempo, with Alex Whittle and Danny Grainger proving good outlets as they looked to restore parity.

Jim Jefferies' side, however, were still unable to ask any real questions of goalkeeper Thomas Flynn, despite their possession.

And the visitors should have added to their lead, but Hemmings and Dean Brett were both denied by the impressive Scully.

Into the second half, and Dunfermline got out of the traps quickest, with Josh Falkingham powering a strike from the edge of the box after positive play, but Flynn kept it out with a magnificent stop.

The Pars then almost got themselves level.

From a fizzing Grainger corner, Ryan Thomson freed himself and headed towards the net from close-range but, agonisingly for their support, it sailed wide.

And, it was another set-piece that very nearly saw Cowdenbeath score again, however, John Armstrong was unable to keep his header down.

The second came soon after that, though.

After Scully saved a Stewart attempt, a touch from the resulting corner was cleared off the line by Whittle, only for O'Brien - who had got on the scoresheet in the first leg - to rifle home confidently.

And the result was put beyond doubt when Stewart, who had been bright throughout, picked up a pin-point long ball and cut inside before moving into the box and slotting past a helpless Scully.

Top Stories