Jay Rodriguez: Southampton striker out for six more weeks
Southampton striker Jay Rodriguez's long-term knee injury is likely to keep him out for at least another six weeks, according to boss Ronald Koeman.
Rodriguez, 25, ruptured an anterior cruciate ligament in a Premier League game against Manchester City in April.
"He had to make a step back in his recovery," said Koeman.
"That was a pity as when we spoke about the squad in the pre-season I said Jay will be like a fantastic signing for December or January, and he isn't."
Southampton have lost their last five games, including a shock 1-0 defeat by Sheffield United in the League Cup quarter-finals on Tuesday.
They are fifth in the Premier League table, 13 points adrift of leaders Chelsea.
He added: "All these kind of unlucky moments are part of the difficult time we are having."
|Jay Rodriguez, who has been at St Mary's since joining from hometown club Burnley in 2012 for a fee of about £7m, scored 17 goals for Southampton last season.|
"After a big injury, you don't have to rush. He needs time and we are giving him the time to come back, but it's a pity because he's a great player.
"I think now, in this situation, he will not be available before the end of January."
Rodriguez, who was ruled out of England's World Cup squad following the injury, had more surgery on his knee last month.
He joins Jack Cork, Dusan Tadic, Sam Gallagher and Jake Hesketh on Southampton's injury list before this weekend's match against Everton.
Meanwhile, Morgan Schneiderlin, Victor Wanyama and Florin Gardos are suspended for the game at St Mary's, while Graziano Pelle and Steven Davis are doubts.