Harry Arter: Bournemouth midfielder pride at Republic call-up

Harry Arter
Harry Arter has previously played for Republic of Ireland Under-19s

Bournemouth midfielder Harry Arter says his call-up into the Republic of Ireland squad is the biggest achievement of his career.

Arter has been named in a provisional 35-man squad for the Euro 2016 qualifier against Poland on 29 March.

The 25-year-old revealed it was Cherries team-mate Steve Cook who broke the news to him in the gym.

"This is probably my biggest achievement and something I'm proud of," Arter told BBC Radio Solent.

"Honestly, I was in the gym doing some work, I didn't even know the squad was being announced and Steve Cook came in and just said 'well done'.

"That's how I found out. I haven't spoken to anyone yet, I found out through the internet."

London-born Arter has played for the Republic's Under-17 and Under-19 teams and has been a key player for the Championship leaders this season, playing 38 times.

"At this moment in time, it's nice to be in the squad," he added. "Without patting myself on the back, my focus is on Tuesday and the following Saturday playing for Bournemouth.

"I will focus on whatever happens with Ireland when it comes to it really.

"It's an opportunity I'm looking forward to and an experience I'll look to gain from."

Harry Arter factfile
1989: Born, 28 December, Sidcup, London
2006: Makes sole Charlton appearance, aged 16, against Luton in the League Cup
2007: Capped for the Republic of Ireland Under-19s
2009: Joins Conference side Woking after loan spells at Staines United and Welling United
2010: Signs for Bournemouth after 36 Woking appearances
2012: Becomes regular in Bournemouth first team
2015: Helps Bournemouth go top in the Championship and earns Republic senior call-up

Arter spoke of his admiration for Republic assistant Roy Keane, who he says was an inspiration when he was a youngster.

"Roy Keane was one of the best midfielders of my generation when I was growing up and someone I aspired to be," he said.

"It's a nice feeling to be appreciated and noticed by him."

Thursday was a day of mixed emotions for Arter, with the midfielder receiving a one-match ban from the Football Association, meaning he will miss this weekend's game against Blackpool.

"It was a little bit of surprise," added Arter. "The manager said it was unfair and he has been backing me throughout this case.

"It is what it is and I just have to move on. I didn't think it was an incident that was worth reporting.

"It's an important time of the season for the squad not an individual. The team does not rely on any one individual I just have to train well and I hope we can get the three points on Saturday."

Top Stories