Ricardo Moniz ends Notts County manager talks for family reasons
Former Tottenham skills coach and ex-Hamburg manager Ricardo Moniz will not be taking over at Notts County after talks ended because of family reasons.
The 50-year-old Dutchman was poised to replace Shaun Derry, who was sacked by the League One club last week.
County are 20th in the table.
The club said in a statement a package had been agreed but that he "was forced to attend to family matters in his home country that meant he was unable to commit to becoming the new manager".
Chairman Ray Trew said: "I am obviously bitterly disappointed that we couldn't finalise the deal for Ricardo because I saw in him something that I felt would give the club a real lift and would excite our supporters.
"However, I fully understand and respect his decision to put his family first after the sudden change in his circumstances and I wish him all the very best for the future.
"Whilst this is a setback, it hasn't diminished in the slightest my enthusiasm for bringing in the right manager and I am now looking forward to continuing negotiations with some of the other candidates who we have been talking to in recent days."
Moniz held numerous coaching positions before joining Spurs, where he worked under Martin Jol from 2005 to 2008.
He followed Jol to Hamburg in 2008 and replaced his fellow Dutchman as manager before going on to become the first boss to win the league and cup double in Austria, achieving the feat with Red Bull Salzburg in 2011-12.
Moniz then managed at Ferencvaros and Lechia Gdansk, and was sacked from his last managerial job at Bundesliga 2 side 1860 Munich in September.
Notts are only clear of the relegation zone on goal difference from Crawley following Saturday's 2-2 home draw against fellow strugglers Scunthorpe United.