Caf accepts ruling to give Morocco 2017 Nations Cup place

Caf president Issa Hayatou and Royal Moroccan Football Federation president Fouzi Lekjaa

The Confederation of African Football confirmed on Sunday that Morocco will be able to play in the qualifiers for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.

In February Caf banned Morocco from the 2017 and 2019 events after the country did not host this year's finals.

But on Thursday the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) overturned Caf's ruling after Morocco appealed.

It means the north Africans will now be placed in the draw, which will be held on 8 April in Cairo.

Caf had initially been reluctant to confirm it would accept the decision of Cas but following a meeting of the African football governing body's executive committee it made a statement on its website outlining its position.

"Caf, which joined the authority of the jurisdiction of Cas, has committed to implementing the decisions and will comply with this ruling despite the contradictions observed in the Cas decision," it said.

Morocco had been due to host the 2015 finals but the event was relocated to Equatorial Guinea at short notice after Caf rejected Morocco's request to postpone the tournament because of their fears over the outbreak of Ebola on the continent.

Caf barred Morocco from taking part at the relocated finals and also fined them US$1m (£675,000) and ordered to pay 8m euros (US$8.7m, £5.85m) in compensation.

Cas reduced the fine to US$50,000 (£34,000) and said the separate claim for damages "may be examined by another jurisdiction".

When asked about the decision by Cas relating to the financial penalties, Friday Caf's director of communications Junior Binyam told BBC Sport Morocco "still have to pay the compensation".

Top Stories