Fenerbahce want league suspended after bus shooting

Media playback is not supported on this device

The club say shots were fired at the Fenerbahce bus, as Tim Allman reports

Fenerbahce have called for the Turkish Super Lig to be suspended after their team bus was shot at by a gunman.

The league leaders were travelling to Trabzon airport, following their 5-1 victory over Rizespor, when the shooting happened.

The driver was taken to hospital but no players were injured in the attack.

"As Fenerbahce, we think it's unavoidable to suspend the league until this dark attack is enlightened," a club statement read.

"It is the end of the football and blood has been spilled. Fenerbahce's irrevocable priority is for the culprits to be found and punished immediately."

The club said they would release a further statement after an emergency board meeting on Monday.

Fenerbahce team bus
The bus driver's side window was shattered

The 70km road on which the team bus was travelling in north-east Turkey connects Rize to Trabzon, where Fenerbahce's bitter rivals Trabzonspor are based.

Fenerbahce striker Emmanuel Emenike said he and his team-mates had been left stunned by what happened.

"I was on the phone with my brother when I heard the loud sound and I thought one of our tyres had busted because the bus was swerving on the road," the Nigeria international told BBC Sport.

"But when I found our security officer in front of the bus I knew something must have gone awfully wrong.

"We quickly realised the security guy was the one who hit the brake, and he said the driver [who was already soaked in blood] had been shot.

"The word 'shot' came as a big shock but when we saw blood and the shattered driver's side window, it quickly turned into a scary moment for everyone on the bus."

Fenerbahce and Trabzonspor are banned from taking away fans when they play each other and a game between the sides last season at the Avni Aker Stadium in Trabzon was abandoned after objects were thrown on to the pitch.

Fenerbahce team bus
The bloodied driver of the bus was taken to hospital

"There had been other violent attacks over the years," the official said. "Every time we go to Rize, the police take tight security measures, place police officers and cars every 100 metres on the road.

"The security measures would end at the entrance of Rize. But there would always be Trabzonspor fans attacking our bus with stones. In 2004 one of our players was injured after a stone hit his head.

"Two years ago, against Trabzonspor, their fans pulled out a gun towards the administrator's bus but did not shoot. It was recorded on a live TV programme. We could see it coming.

"We have no problem at Rize. But playing in Trabzon is like playing in a rebel zone."

Fenerbahce, who have former Premier League players Dirk Kuyt, Raul Meireles and Emre Belozoglu in their side, are the defending champions of the Super Lig and have won the major domestic competition 19 times.

Saturday's win took the Istanbul team to the top of the table, one point ahead of rivals Galatasaray.

Road to Trabzon
Shattered glass from the coach remained at the side of the highway from the previous night
Police search
Police searched for clues next to the highway
Fenerbahce team bus
The players leave the bus after it was fired at several times by a gunman
Fenerbahce team bus
Fenerbahce players and staff assess the damage

Top Stories