Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti confident ban will be lifted

Real Madrid
Real Madrid finished third last year, behind champions Atletico and Barcelona

Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti is confident the suspension on football will be lifted and teams will be able to see out the season.

The Spanish football federation announced matches in the country will stop on 16 May in a dispute with the government, including over TV rights.

That would see the final two rounds of La Liga games suspended indefinitely.

"I truly believe it is going to be resolved over the coming days," Ancelotti said.

"The parties will meet and take the right decisions so that La Liga ends on the scheduled date."

With three games remaining, Barcelona lead the Spanish top flight by two points from Real Madrid.

Both sides play on Saturday - Barca host David Moyes's Real Sociedad (17:00 BST) and Real Madrid are at home to Valencia (19:00).

Those are the last domestic games scheduled before the ban, which would also affect Barcelona's Copa del Rey final against Athletic Bilbao on Saturday, 30 May.

Barca boss Luis Enrique said: "The desires of the players have to be taken into account. I hope it doesn't halt league play and the season ends the way it's supposed to."

Spanish football writer Andy West explains the dispute:
Essentially, the suspension is the result of a power struggle over who runs Spanish football. More specifically, it is the climax of a long-running dispute over the distribution of television revenue, which is currently heavily weighted in favour of the 'Big Two' of Barcelona and Real Madrid. Read more here.

Top Stories