Frank de Boer: Ajax boss leaves his role after six years

Frank de Boer
Frank de Boer took over as Ajax manager in December 2010 after a spell as assistant to Netherlands boss Bert van Marwijk in the 2010 World Cup

Frank de Boer says he is ready for "something else" but has not ruled out taking a year out after leaving Ajax.

De Boer stepped down on Thursday after six years as manager, days after the club missed out on the Dutch title to PSV Eindhoven.

The 45-year-old has been linked with Everton, who sacked boss Roberto Martinez on Thursday after one win in 10 in the Premier League.

"What I will do, I don't know yet," De Boer said.

The Dutchman was critical of Ajax's failure to be crowned champions of the Netherlands for the 34th time last weekend.

Ajax needed to win at second-from-bottom De Graafschap to secure a fifth title in six years but were held to a surprise 1-1 draw that allowed PSV to leapfrog the leaders and retain their title after they won at PEC Zwolle.

"I began to realise more that it was time for something else," added De Boer, who led Ajax to four straight league titles between 2011 and 2014.

"This is better for me and also for Ajax."

Asked about his future, De Boer said: "A year without a club is also an option. I'll see what comes my way."

Speaking to BBC Sport, De Boer's agent Guido Albers said there had been "no contact" from Everton, but added: "If a club like Everton comes to him of course he will be interested to talk.

"We will see. This club [Everton] is an amazing club. They will have their own shortlist. If Frank is on the shortlist, I don't know."

Ajax director Edwin van der Sar said De Boer was "hugely ambitious".

"We are sorry that he is leaving," the former Manchester United keeper said.

Top Stories