Euro 2016 security: England scout Alan Cork holds no fears over Paris return

Media playback is not supported on this device

Blast heard during Paris football match

England scout Alan Cork said he had no concerns about returning to Paris less than seven months after he was caught up in the city's attacks.

The 57-year-old is in the city for Euro 2016 having been at Stade de France in November when three explosive devices went off near the stadium.

"If you worry about it you can never do anything in your life," he said.

"If there's an attack you hope you're not there. It's the selfish thing to say but it's the way to look at it."

Cork, whose son Jack plays for Swansea, is one of four scouts working for England in France and will be based in Paris. The former Wimbledon forward has been tasked with following Group B opponents Slovakia.

Stade de France security
Paris will have security force of at least 13,000 to patrol two zones and two stadiums

The explosions in November last year, which led to the abandonment of the friendly between France and Germany, resulted in the death of one bomber and a passer-by.

In total, 130 people were killed in Paris when gunmen and suicide bombers linked to the militant Islamic State (IS) group attacked the Bataclan concert hall, restaurants and bars, and the Stade de France.

Asked whether he is still affected by the events, Cork added: "It becomes more scary when you remember you were there and it could have been a lot worse. But I've not really thought about it because I've been busy going to games. That's pushed it out of my mind."

Jerome Boateng, who was part of the Germany squad that slept in the stadium after the November friendly, says his family and children will not be at the matches, claiming "the risk is too big".

The 27-year-old told Sport Bild: "For my part I want to concentrate on football and I feel better if my family is not sitting in the stands."

Former France World Cup winner Marcel Desailly told BBC Sport his children will be watching games at the fanzones, saying there should be no fears over security.

The Foreign Office has told football fans travelling to France from the UK to be "vigilant at all times" in the face of terrorism threats.

It said there was a "high threat from terrorism", with stadiums, fan zones and transport hubs possible targets.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Drills have been held by security forces in preparation for Euro 2016

"The advice given by the Football Association has been different this time around because there could be threats," Cork added.

"Everybody is prepared and have the phone numbers knowing where to go if something happens. We've been told to be wary about where we go.

"They've told us some areas might be more risky than other. And we've been told not to go out at night to busy clubs and bars because they might be soft targets."

The England team are based in Chantilly, about 24 miles to the north of Paris. Their first match is on Saturday against Russia in Marseille.

Create leagues and play against your friends in BBC Sport's new Euro 2016 Predictor game

Top Stories