Reds beat Glens as champions Crusaders win again

Media playback is not supported on this device

Reds secure Solitude win over Glens

Cliftonville secured a 2-0 win over Glentoran while champions Crusaders are already clear at the Premiership summit thanks to a 4-1 victory over Carrick.

Chris Curran and David McDaid bagged the Reds goals while the Crues took their goal tally from two games to 10.

Glenavon fought back from from three down to draw 3-3 at Ballymena and Aaron Burns struck late to salvage a 1-1 draw for Linfield against Coleraine.

Ards edged Dungannon 2-1 and Portadown beat Ballinamallard by the same score.

Wednesday's action and reaction as it happened

Crusaders were helped by the second-half dismissal of Carrick's Seanna Foster but they were comfortable winners with goals from David Cushley, Paul Heatley and Philip Lowry coming after Steven McCullough's own goal.

Stephen Baxter's side are the only team to win both of their opening matches and they have opened up an early two-point gap at the top.

There was controversy at Windsor Park where Linfield equalised from a disputed corner just two minutes from the end.

Aaron Burns headed in Linfield's equaliser against Coleraine at Windsor Park
Aaron Burns headed in Linfield's equaliser against Coleraine at Windsor Park

Coleraine, who had led from the 49th minute after James McLaughlin's goal, were furious when referee Keith Kennedy gave a corner which they were adamant should have been a goal kick.

Burns headed in from the former and Coleraine's Lyndon Kane was sent off for a comment made to the referee.

"Even though it was a horrendous decision, I still think we should have dealt with the corner the way we had been doing all night," said Coleraine manager Oran Kearney.

"However, I cannot accept that decision tonight, and that it why I was so animated. The referee was not watching and the linesman was obviously not watching."

Ards had to hang on with 10 men at Dungannon to record their first win since returning to the top division.

Guillaume Keke and Kyle Cherry had Ards 2-0 up but Andrew Burns pulled one back and Joe McKinney got a straight red card for a high challenge on Dougie Wilson.

"When Joe got sent off it was the Alamo for 15 minutes. It was a real test of character," said Ards boss Nial Currie.

Glenavon produced a great comeback to draw away to Ballymena United.

Kyle Owens scored twice for the Sky Blues in the first half and Cathair Friel made it 3-0 early in the second.

But a Guy Bates penalty, Greg Moorhouse and Ciaran Martyn earned Glenavon a point.

Danske Bank Irish Premiership
Ballymena United3-3Glenavon
Carrick Rangers1-4Crusaders
Dungannon Swifts1-2Ards
Portadown2-1Ballinamallard United

Top Stories