Saturday's League One reports

AFC Wimbledon 2-1 Bolton Wanderers

Liam Trotter's 70th-minute winner put an end to Bolton's remarkable 495-day wait for an away victory as they hit back for a 2-1 victory at AFC Wimbledon.

Phil Parkinson's side fell behind after 16 minutes when Andy Barcham fired the Dons ahead, but Bolton grew in stature after Gary Madine levelled 11 minutes before the interval and deserved their victory.

AFC Wimbledon, playing their first home match at this level, began full of purpose.

Barcham strode onto Dean Parrett's clever knock-down but could only fire wastefully over, though the hosts would soon have their breakthrough.

Jake Reeves slipped a slide-rule pass through for an offside-looking Barcham. The forward did not hesitate, though, curling a fine finish inside Mark Howard's left-hand post.

There had been little to suggest Bolton would find a way back into the contest until a Ryan Clarke howler afforded the visitors a priceless breakthrough.

Mark Davies swooped on a clearance to feed Madine, whose low left-footed shot inexplicably wrong-footed the goalkeeper and dribbled into the back of the net.

And Wanderers completed the turnaround when Trotter arrived at the back post to turn home Madine's wonderful delivery from the right.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Charlton Athletic 1-1 Northampton Town

Charlton are still looking for their first win of the new League One season after they drew 1-1 with Northampton at the Valley.

Addicks skipper Johnnie Jackson's 57th-minute strike cancelled out Alex Revell's first-half header.

The Northampton hitman, who played for Charlton boss Russell Slade at Leyton Orient and Cardiff, scored after 16 minutes with a headed goal which saw the home side booed off at the break.

Alfie Potter picked out Revell with a looping cross and the forward steered his header across goal and found the back of the net.

Rob Page's men could have doubled their lead after half an hour but Harry Beautyman's header drifted just wide of the post.

Charlton came out firing in the second-half with Andrew Crofts and Nicky Ajose both unlucky not to equalise.

The Addicks' relentless pressure paid off when Ajose played in Jackson who coolly slotted home.

The result leaves Slade without a win as Charlton manager, while Northampton extended their unbeaten league run to 26 games.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Chesterfield 3-1 Swindon Town

Ched Evans marked his Chesterfield home debut with a match-winning performance in a 3-1 victory over Swindon Town at the Proact Stadium.

The Welsh striker scored for the second game running and was also involved in the other two goals before Darnell Furlong replied late on.

Evans had been denied in the fourth minute when he met a Dan Gardner cross only for Lawrence Vigouroux to push the ball against a post and grab the rebound.

Vigouroux made another superb save to push an Evans free-kick against the bar and then bravely blocked Sam Hird's follow-up but Gary Liddle headed the rebound in from six yards.

The 22-year-old rescued Swindon again when he turned a Jay O'Shea drive behind and then blocked a Gardner shot in the 33rd minute.

But he was beaten in first-half stoppage time when Nathan Thompson's shoulder charge on Evans was judged a foul and O'Shea fired the penalty into the bottom-right corner.

Swindon improved in the second half but conceded a third in the 64th minute when Gboly Ariyibi crossed low from the right and Evans got in front of the defence to turn the ball in.

Furlong scored with a rising drive in the 88th minute but it was too little, too late for Swindon.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Coventry City 0-0 Shrewsbury Town

Coventry and Shrewsbury picked up their first points of the season but are both yet to find the net in the league.

Coventry dominated the first half without really troubling Shrews keeper Jayson Leutwiler.

Kyel Reid blazed an effort wide when he should have scored while Andy Rose headed the wrong side of the post after the best move of the period.

Shrewsbury had to up their game in the second half and a couple of changes at the break gave them a much-needed spark.

Louis Dodds shot over in the 51st minute and then saw an effort deflected wide 60 seconds later.

Coventry should have taken the lead just after the hour mark but Rose's shot from an angle took a nick off a Shrewsbury defender.

Kwame Thomas, on as Coventry sub, was stretchered off in the 81st minute after going down heavily after a challenge on the halfway line so the home side had to play the rest of the game with 10 men.

Ivan Toney could have won it at the death for the visitors but smacked against the bar from 12 yards before Jim O'Brien missed an easy chance.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Fleetwood Town 2-2 Scunthorpe United

Kevin van Veen's stunning strike kept up Scunthorpe's unbeaten run, which stretches back to April, as they secured a 2-2 draw at Fleetwood Town.

The Lincolnshire club had lost just one previous fixture under former Fleetwood boss Graham Alexander but found themselves in unfamiliar territory eight minutes before the break, when Eggert Jonsson headed home at the back post.

David Ball doubled Fleetwood's advantage but Scunthorpe's comeback started with Tom Hopper on 63 minutes and ended with Van Veen's effort moments later.

Jordan Clarke's foul on Bobby Grant handed Fleetwood the chance to open the scoring as Jonsson applied a powerful header at the back post to hand Uwe Rosler's men a hard-fought half-time lead.

And it did not take long for Fleetwood to double their advantage via a fine solo-effort from Ball, who showed quick feet to find shooting room 25 yards out and drive the ball low past Luke Daniels.

Van Veen came close to pulling one back when his 25-yard drive was tipped over by Chris Neal.

But from the resulting corner the visitors did score as Jordan Clarke's effort was cleared off the line before substitute Hopper bundled the ball in at the second time of asking.

It was the break Scunthorpe needed, with the equaliser coming just minutes later in spectacular fashion from Van Veen's 30-yard curling shot, which left keeper Neal as a spectator.

Both sides had chances to win it in a frantic final 20-minute scrap. Jonsson came closest for Fleetwood with another bullet header beaten off the line while Hopper won a goalmouth scramble at the other end only to nod into Neal's arms.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Gillingham 2-1 Bury

Ryan Jackson was an unlikely match-winner as Gillingham went top of League One with a 2-1 victory over Bury.

The right-back gave the Gills a first-half lead, before his dangerous cross was turned into his own net by Bury captain Antony Kay in the second period, with Tom Pope pulling one back in vain.

The opener came in the fifth minute after Mark Byrne's chipped through-ball found the overlapping Jackson, who took a moment to steady himself before sliding the ball under Ben Williams.

Two minutes before the break, Emmanuel Osadebe met Paul Konchesky's cross and thumped a header against the bar and a Josh Wright long-range volley drew a stunning save from Williams.

Gillingham's second came in the 57th minute when Bury skipper Kay tried to clear Jackson's low cross but skewed past his own goalkeeper.

Bury were back in it nine minutes later, though.

Tom Soares crossed for Pope to plant home a header into the bottom corner but they could not find an equaliser.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Milton Keynes Dons 2-2 Millwall

Kieran Agard made a sensational start to his MK Dons career as he netted a first-half brace to salvage a 2-2 draw against Millwall in League One.

The 26-year-old forward, who arrived at the Dons on Thursday for a club record transfer fee from Bristol City, cancelled out the Lions' early two-goal advantage, with two well-taken goals and left the field as a second-half substitute to a standing ovation.

But it was Neil Harris's side that made their early first-half pressure pay, as they struck twice in quick succession to go two in front - first through Tony Craig on 24 minutes, before David Worrall smashed the visitors into what appeared to be a comfortable lead three minutes later.

But Agard's first reply came just a minute later, as the Lions defence failed to clear their lines and the Dons forward's left-footed strike from the edge of the box found the bottom corner.

And the home fans did not have long to wait to cheer Agard's second, which was a well-taken headed lob over Millwall goalkeeper Jordan Archer in a one-on-one just past the half hour.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Oldham Athletic 0-0 Walsall

Oldham played out a goalless draw with Walsall in an entertaining contest at Boundary Park.

The hosts had the better of the first half and Walsall suffered a blow when Rico Henry was injured in the act of clearing superbly with his head from a Marc Klok free-kick.

Oldham's Billy McKay struck a 20-yard shot over the top as manager Stephen Robinson looked for a victory in his first home league outing.

Franck Moussa shot wide early in the second half for the Saddlers and then teed up Simeon Jackson for a near-post effort that was well saved by Connor Ripley.

Oldham's goalkeeper was tested soon after by a fine effort from substitute Andreas Makris that he tipped aside.

McKay had a chance with a header that Etheridge saved before Lee Erwin hit a post with a header from Oldham's best opportunity, which came after Ryan Flynn's shot was blocked by the body of the Walsall goalkeeper.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Peterborough United 0-1 Bradford City

It was an afternoon of firsts as Bradford triumphed 1-0 at Peterborough.

Jordy Hiwula fired in his first Bantams goal, and their first of the season, to secure the opening victory of manager Stuart McCall's second spell in charge.

It arrived after just 12 minutes as the frontman, on a season-long loan from Huddersfield, met captain Tony McMahon's cross from the right with a cushioned header.

And that effort was enough to ensure Grant McCann tasted defeat as Posh manager for the first time in his seventh game at the helm after a couple of caretaker spells during last season.

His side created little of note until Marcus Maddison was denied by a fine Colin Doyle save with five minutes to go.

Paul Taylor had earlier tested the visiting goalkeeper while Tom Nichols steered a header wide.

In fact Bradford should have won more emphatically as Josh Cullen missed a glorious chance to mark the start of his second loan spell with a goal early in the second half.

He side-footed wide from 10 yards after McMahon had once more unlocked the home defence.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Port Vale 2-0 Southend United

Substitute Anton Forrester scored one goal and set up another as Port Vale secured a 2-0 win over Southend at Vale Park.

The 22-year-old, brought in on a free this summer, headed in his first goal for the Valiants just before the break to consign the Shrimpers to a club-record eighth straight defeat in all competitions.

Forrester then set up Remie Streete to double Vale's advantage after the break with a powerful effort.

Coming on for the injured Rigino Cicilia, Forrester put Vale ahead in the 40th minute, out-jumping Jakub Sokolik to meet Sam Foley's cross and guide a header past Mark Oxley.

Three minutes earlier, Southend had almost taken the lead when a combination of Jak Alnwick and the crossbar kept out Simon Cox's header from point-blank range.

Defender Nathan Smith almost gifted the away side an equaliser after 46 minutes when David Mooney's header cannoned off his legs before hitting a post.

Forrester then turned provider in the 76th minute, playing in defender Streete, who fired the ball home from just outside the six-yard-box.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Sheffield United 1-1 Rochdale

Sheffield United and Rochdale are still searching for their first wins of the League One season after drawing 1-1 at Bramall Lane.

Keith Hill's side looked to be heading for only their second ever win over United when Andy Cannon fired them in front but the hosts' captain Billy Sharp equalised during the closing stages of the first half.

Cannon pounced during the closing stages of a scrappy first-half, George Long saved Ian Henderson's 44th-minute shot but the midfielder steadied himself and shot home.

Mark Duffy had earlier gone close for United while Donal McDermott enjoyed several sights of goal at the opposite end of the pitch. But, for the most part, it was pretty tame from both teams.

Leon Clarke was inches away from drawing United level in the 65th minute after overpowering his marker to meet Duffy's cross but the ball fell just wide.

With eight minutes left, Sharp equalised, as the striker swept home a first-time finish from close range after meeting Chris Hussey's free-kick.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Top Stories