Tuesday's League One reports

Bradford City 1-1 Southend United

Anthony Wordsworth scored a second-half equaliser to earn Southend a deserved point at second-placed Bradford.

The Bantams, who lost their unbeaten record at Oxford on Saturday, went in front in the 36th minute through striker Marc McNulty - his first goal since joining on loan from Sheffield United.

McNulty raced onto a through pass from Haris Vuckic before shooting past the advancing Marc Oxley and he almost scored a second two minutes later, seeing his first shot blocked and his second deflected over the crossbar.

Josh Cullen also went close as Bradford ended the first half in charge.

However, Southend began the second half well, Nile Ranger forcing a diving save out of Colin Doyle in the 49th minute before they scored an equaliser five minutes later.

Ben Coker's left-wing cross was flicked on by former Bradford midfielder Will Atkinson and Wordsworth netted with a close-range header at the far post.

Both sides had chances to score a winner as play swung from end to end but a draw was fair result.

Bury 1-2 AFC Wimbledon

Jonathan Meades headed home in stoppage time to hand AFC Wimbledon victory at Bury in League One.

Neil Danns put the hosts in front with a 27th-minute penalty, which was cancelled out by Lyle Taylor after 39 minutes.

Meades then struck at the death to stretch the Dons' unbeaten run to eight games while condemning Bury to a fifth straight defeat.

Persistent rain contributed to a poor start at Gigg Lane, with the first chance not coming until the penalty incident.

Paul Robinson tripped James Vaughan in the box and Danns side-footed the spot-kick into the bottom corner.

But the visitors equalised when Andy Barcham jinked to the byline and crossed for an unmarked Taylor to head home.

Bury's Zeli Ismail then fired over before the break, while Barcham had a shot deflected wide.

The game improved as the rain subsided after half-time, with Dean Parrett testing home keeper Ben Williams and Bury's Danny Mayor twice going close from 20 yards.

Bury substitute Tom Walker curled a late free-kick just over, but Meades had the final say, heading home from a Jake Reeves corner.

Chesterfield 0-1 Fleetwood Town

Ched Evans came off the bench but was unable to prevent Chesterfield from slipping to a home defeat to Fleetwood.

The striker was included in the squad after he was found not guilty of raping a 19-year-old woman following a retrial last week at Cardiff Crown Court.

But Cod Army full-back Conor McLaughlin stole the show with the game's only goal just before the break.

The Northern Ireland international drilled a low shot into the far corner after a good interchange with Ashley Hunter just as the Spireites had begun to build up a head of steam.

Prior to that strike, Gboly Ariyibi had curled a left-footed effort onto the post moments after Fleetwood had brought on sub keeper Alex Cairns for the injured Chris Neal.

Cairns, a former Chesterfield reserve, came on for only his second senior appearance five years after his previous one - also as a sub in a 5-0 home defeat for Leeds against Blackpool - and he made several great saves, most notably tipping an Evans effort onto the bar.

Chesterfield piled on the pressure late on but Uwe Rosler's side defended solidly to hold out for a second straight win.

Coventry City 2-1 Oxford United

A stunning goal from youngster Ben Stevenson helped Coventry beat Oxford as they claimed their first home league win of the season.

The midfielder broke the deadlock in the 28th minute when he rifled in a 25-yard shot which gave Oxford keeper Simon Eastwood no chance.

But with Coventry's confidence fragile after a morale-sapping defeat at Charlton at the weekend, they needed another to really settle.

It came just two minutes before the half-time break when visiting defender Phil Edwards tried to head a long pass from Chris McCann back to Eastwood, unaware his keeper had come galloping off his line.

That left Marvin Sordell, who had offered the home side's most potent threat, the simple task of side-footing home into the empty net.

Oxford could well have taken the lead in the 22nd minute when Chey Dunkley met a corner powerfully with his head only for the ball to bounce off the crossbar with keeper Lee Burge stranded.

Substitute Dan Crowley ensured a nervy final few minutes when he scored in injury time.

Gillingham 1-1 Walsall

Franck Moussa's second-half strike earned Walsall a draw at Gillingham, who are now without a win in five games.

Cody McDonald headed the Gills into a half-time lead, but Moussa converted from close range after 59 minutes to leave the home side still awaiting their first clean sheet of the season.

Defender Max Elmer forced a fine double save from Walsall keeper Neil Etheridge in the 18th minute.

Seven minutes later Gillingham went in front when a long pass forward from centre-back Deji Oshilaja found Scott Wagstaff, whose cross to the back post was met by McDonald to plant a header home.

Having offered little threat going forwards, the visitors then grabbed an equaliser against the run of play.

Paul Konchesky was robbed of possession and, after Jonathan Bond had spilt the eye-catching Erhun Oztumer's long-range strike, Moussa scored the simplest of rebounds.

With 10 minutes remaining, Gills went close to a winner when a curling Bradley Dack free-kick from 25 yards brought an acrobatic save from Etheridge who tipped onto the crossbar.

MK Dons 3-3 Bristol Rovers

Matty Taylor's second-half hat-trick earned Bristol Rovers a late draw at MK Dons in a six-goal thriller.

Now without a win in 12 league matches on home soil - a run that dates back to March - the Dons twice held a two-goal lead before Taylor rescued an unlikely point for Rovers.

Dean Bowditch opened the scoring for the hosts after 16 minutes from close range when goalkeeper Kelle Roos spilt a 20-yard strike from Ben Reeves.

Lively winger Ryan Colclough thundered a shot against the crossbar before defender George Williams nodded his first Dons goal via a post in the 24th minute.

Bowditch headed inches wide on the half hour as the hosts went close to making it 3-0.

Taylor threw Rovers a lifeline just 66 seconds after the break with a superb right-foot strike from 20 yards.

Dons' nerves eased again when Reeves cut inside in the 66th minute to restore the two-goal gap.

Rovers' more physical second-half approach left Dons boss Karl Robinson livid on the touchline and his back line finally cracked as Taylor pounced twice from close range in the 87th and 89th minutes.

Millwall 0-2 Bolton Wanderers

Bolton recorded their fourth clean-sheet victory on the bounce in League One with a hard-fought win at Millwall.

Sammy Ameobi silenced The Den after just three minutes, hitting a stunning strike from 25 yards just beyond Jordan Archer's reach.

But the Lions fought back and were denied an equaliser by a superb reaction save from Mark Howard after 19 minutes after Lee Gregory met Shaun Williams' free-kick at the front post.

Despite having less possession, Bolton looked more threatening and Zach Clough's curling effort forced a good save from Archer after 34 minutes before Max Romeo crucially stopped the 21-year-old's counter-attack in first-half injury time.

Millwall built pressure well in the second half, with Williams' hopeful shot going just wide on the hour mark, minutes before Tony Craig's header looped onto the roof of the net.

But David Wheater ultimately ended the contest after 86 minutes, sending Lions fans to the exit en masse with a cool finish after Millwall failed to clear a corner.

Oldham Athletic 2-0 Scunthorpe United

Two late first-half goals gave Oldham a surprise victory over League One leaders Scunthorpe.

The struggling Latics had failed to win any of their six previous league matches at Sportsdirect.com Park, but doubled their goal tally for the season in front of their own fans on their way to a comfortable three points.

Two goals in the three minutes directly before half-time did the damage for Steve Robinson's side.

Freddie Ladapo grabbed the first, in the 42nd minute, completing a flowing move upfield by squeezing a shot inside the upright.

The Iron were still reeling from that setback when Lee Erwin broke into the box and curled a lovely finish inside the far post a minute into stoppage time.

Scunthorpe, unbeaten in eight games going into the match, never looked like finding a way back into the game and lacked ideas in the final third.

Instead it was Oldham who went closest to adding to the scoring after the break when visiting goalkeeper Joe Anyon did well to beat away a drive from Ryan Flynn.

Peterborough United 3-0 Northampton Town

Shaquile Coulthirst grabbed his first goal of the season to set Peterborough on the way to derby glory as they thumped rivals Northampton 3-0 in the clubs' first match for seven years.

The frontman was left free to head in a Marcus Maddison corner in the 14th minute at the ABAX Stadium to provide the hosts with the perfect start.

And the same supply line was responsible for Posh doubling their lead eight minutes before the break as another Maddison corner was converted by Ryan Tafazolli.

Paul Taylor was denied further Posh goals by a fine Adam Smith save and a terrific Brendan Moloney goal-line block in the early stages of the second half.

But the home side then had to soak up Cobblers pressure before sealing victory with a late breakaway goal involving two substitutes.

Gwion Edwards burst into the box and clipped the ball perfectly into the path of Tom Nichols, who had replaced the injured Coulthirst just before the break, to volley past Smith.

It was Nichols' sixth goal of the season and snapped a 13-game drought while ensuring Posh leapfrogged Northampton in the League One table.

Port Vale 1-1 Charlton Athletic

A late penalty from Port Vale's leading goalscorer Alex Jones rescued a draw at home to Charlton.

His eighth of the season cancelled out Frederik Ulvestad's goal for the Addicks in the first half.

Jones turned and shot from 20 yards straight at Charlton goalkeeper Declan Rudd in the 13th minute as the hosts looked for the opener.

Charlton went close after 20 minutes when a Ricky Holmes cross was met by the head of Northern Ireland international Josh Magennis, but the ball came down off the crossbar and was smothered by Jak Alnwick.

Charlton made the breakthrough after half an hour when Holmes cut a ball back across goal from the right and on-loan Burnley midfielder Ulvestad was on hand to poke a shot past Alnwick.

The Valiants tried to find a leveller in the second half when substitute Rigino Cicilia headed a Sam Hart cross over the bar.

They finally rescued a point with five minutes left when Jones levelled from the spot after he was bundled over in the area.

Shrewsbury Town 0-3 Sheffield United

Sheffield United eased to victory at Shrewsbury as the hosts slipped to the bottom of League One.

All of the goals came in the second half with Billy Sharp netting twice and Dan Lafferty also on target for the in-form Blades, who are now unbeaten in their last nine league games.

Sharp fired United ahead a minute into the second half when he fired a 25-yard shot into the top corner of the net.

Mark Duffy's free-kick then came back off the crossbar and goalkeeper Jayson Leutwiler did well to tip a long-range drive from Paul Coutts over before United doubled their lead in the 63rd minute.

Coutts delivered an inviting cross from the right and Lafferty headed powerfully high into the net.

Three minutes later it was 3-0 to the Blades as the lively Sharp popped up at the far post to fire in a corner.

United had earlier started brightly and almost took a 13th-minute lead, but a close-range effort from Sharp after Ethan Ebanks-Landell nodded down a corner was blocked on the line by Abu Ogogo.

Shrewsbury gradually came into the contest and both Ivan Toney and George Waring threatened before Olly Lancashire looped a header over the bar.

Shrewsbury, under the control of caretaker manager Danny Coyne for a third game, had to work hard to prevent further damage once United scored three times.

Joe Riley went closest to pulling one back when his 20-yard free-kick was pushed away by keeper Simon Moore.

Swindon Town 3-0 Rochdale

Swindon belied their lowly position by bringing Rochdale's winning streak to a juddering halt with a 3-0 win at the County Ground.

First-half strikes from Darnell Furlong and Nathan Delfouneso put Swindon in control before Dale striker Ian Henderson missed a penalty.

Joseph Bunney was needlessly sent off for the visitors before Nathan Thompson sealed Swindon's victory.

Furlong fired Swindon ahead after 24 minutes when Rochdale failed to clear his free-kick and the defender drifted into the box, where the ball landed at his feet and he finished into the bottom corner.

Delfouneso stretched Swindon's lead in the 32nd minute when Conor Thomas' clever pass caught Rochdale square and the former Aston Villa and England Under-21 striker ran clear to calmly slot past Josh Lillis.

Rochdale were handed a lifeline 55 seconds into the second half when Johnny Goddard fouled Joe Rafferty but Lawrence Vigouroux saved Henderson's spot-kick.

Bunney was sent off in the 72nd minute for an off-the-ball tangle with Furlong, before Thompson completed the scoring by touching in Thomas' free-kick.

Reports supplied by the Press Association.

Top Stories