NI League Cup: Glenavon end Cliftonville run as Coleraine win on penalties

Media playback is not supported on this device

Cliftonville's cup run ends in defeat at Glenavon

Glenavon broke Cliftonville's stranglehold on the League Cup with a 3-2 extra-time win in Wednesday night's quarter-final at Mourneview Park.

Greg Moorhouse and Andy McGrory with a double, one from a penalty, were on target for the Lurgan Blues.

David McDaid scored for the Reds, with Stephen Garrett netting a consolation.

Coleraine beat Crusaders 5-4 in a penalty shootout after goals from Jordan Allan and Jack Smith in extra-time left the final scoreline 1-1.

Watch goals from the League Cup quarter-finals here

Cliftonville had won the competition for the past four years but Glenavon, Coleraine, Ballymena United and Carrick Rangers will now contest this year's semi-finals on 13 December.

Crusaders manager Stephen Baxter made 10 changes to the side which started Saturday's 1-0 league win over Portadown and it was Coleraine who went closest in the first half when Jamie McGonigle's header from six yards out cannoned off the post.

The Bannsiders passed up a number of chances in the second half, with James McLaughlin particularly culpable as he fired wide, headed off target and shot straight at goalkeeper Michael Dougherty.

Brad Lyons also dragged an effort wide but substitute Allan popped up at the back post to get the final touch and put his side ahead at the end of the first period of extra-time.

Coleraine celebrate after making it 1-0 at Ballycastle Road
Coleraine players celebrate after substitute Jordan Allan gave them a 1-0 lead in extra-time

Richard Clarke provided the pass for Smith to level six minutes later and then another Coleraine substitute, Neil McCafferty, missed a penalty in the dying minutes, firing wide from the spot with his first touch after being introduced from the bench.

The home side prevailed in the shootout as Lyndon Kane slotted home the decisive spot-kick after Salon Jallow saw his penalty rebound off the bar.

McCafferty, Gareth McConnaghie, Darren McCauley, Allan and Kane were successful from the spot for Coleraine, with McLaughlin's disappointing night compounded when his attempt was saved by Dougherty.

Clarke, Michael Gault, David Cushley and Andy Mitchell made no mistake for the Crues, but Smith and Jallow were unable to convert.

Glenavon made a promising start at Mourneview Park as Mark Sykes curled an effort just past the far post, Moorhouse drilled a shot wide and Kevin Braniff's deflected free-kick flew over the bar.

Moorhouse curled a long-range shot into the bottom corner past Peter Burke for his sixth of the season after 57 minutes but Ruairi Harkin provided the assist for McDaid's deflected effort to crawl over the line for a 69th-minute leveller.

Guy Bates laid the ball off for McGrory to nudge his side in front six minutes into extra-time and the same player made it 3-1 with a penalty five minutes later after Burke had brought down Declan O'Brien inside the area.

Garrett grabbed a late consolation for Gerard Lyttle's side with two minutes of extra-time remaining.

Northern Ireland League Cup quarter-finals - Results
Coleraine 1-1Crusaders (Coleraine win 5-4 on penalties)
Glenavon3-2Cliftonville (after extra-time)
Warrenpoint Town0-2Ballymena Utd
Carrick Rangers2-0Dungannon Swifts

Top Stories