Managerless Montrose hold leaders Forfar Athletic

Montrose forward Gary Fraser
Gary Fraser scored for Montrose against Forfar

Montrose took a point from Scottish League One leaders Forfar Athletic in their first game after sacking manager Paul Hegarty in midweek.

As the Loons were being held 1-1, Clyde recovered from losing a two-goal lead to beat Berwick Rangers 3-2 and move up to second, five points behind.

Arbroath missed a chance to go second with a 2-2 draw at Stirling Albion.

Elgin City slip to fourth after losing 1-0 to Annan Athletic, while Edinburgh City drew 1-1 at home with Cowdenbeath.

Although they remain bottom after a poor start to their first season in the Scottish Professional Football League, City stretch their unbeaten run to four games.

Kris Renton had headed the Blue Brazil into the lead before the break, but the home side rescued a point through Dougie Gair's 79th-minute equaliser.

Montrose, under Hegarty's assistant, John Holt, took the lead against Forfar through Gary Fraser after 29th minutes, but Danny Denholm headed home in first-half stoppage time.

Peter MacDonald's 23rd-minute free-kick gave Clyde the lead at Broadwood before David Gormley made it 2-0 just before half-time.

Clyde defender Chris Smith
Defender Chris Smith scored Clyde's winner against Berwick

Greg Rutherford and Greg Hurst scored two goals in four minutes to draw Berwick level.

However, the Wee Rangers went down to 10 men when Darren Lavery was sent off for his foul on Scott Ferguson and the hosts took advantage with Chris Smith scoring an 81st-minute winner.

Stirling's Sean Dickson scored twice in added time to earn his side a stunning 2-2 draw with promotion-chasing Arbroath.

Steven Doris opened the scoring five minutes before the break for the visitors, who had Ricky Little sent off in the 52nd minute.

That looked to make little difference as Omar Kader made it 2-0 14 minutes later, but Dickson scored two quick-fire goals to secure a point.

Elgin dropped from second to fourth as they suffered a third consecutive defeat. David McKenna's fifth-minute goal secured Annan's first league win since 1 October.

Top Stories