Saturday's League One reports

Sheffield United 1-0 Northampton

Kieron Freeman's late strike was enough for a patient Sheffield United to beat Northampton and go top of League One.

The hosts had the bulk of the ball and pressure, coming close when Billy Sharp struck the post from close range.

The game otherwise lacked clear-cut chances, though Cobblers midfielder Matt Taylor saw his long-range free-kick superbly saved by Simon Moore.

With frustration kicking in the ball fell nicely for Freeman, who smashed in from six yards to give United victory.

Blades boss Chris Wilder was facing his old club for the first time since leaving Northampton in May, and has led his new team to four wins in a row.

Rob Page's mid-table side defended valiantly throughout, but have now lost five of their past seven league matches.

Southend 1-1 Charlton

Andrew Crofts' last-minute volley secured Charlton a draw at Southend.

The Shrimpers seemed set for a fourth victory in succession when Simon Cox fired them in front midway through the first half.

But the Addicks hit back at the death to pick up a point.

In-form Southend, who have now not lost for 12 games, went in front after 24 minutes when Cox neatly teed himself up before netting a well-taken left-footed shot from 12 yards.

However, Joe Aribo and Jorge Teixeira were then both denied by Southend goalkeeper Ted Smith before the Shrimpers almost made it 2-0 when Stephen McLaughlin fired against the right post.

In reply, Ezri Konsa and Jordan Botaka were both superbly denied by Smith before Aribo curled an effort against the crossbar.

The Shrimpers replied with Will Atkinson having an effort tipped over by Dillon Phillips before Marc-Antoine Fortune bundled the ball wide from close range.

And the wasted opportunities returned to haunt Southend as Crofts slammed home an 89th-minute volley via the underside of the crossbar.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Bolton 2-1 Scunthorpe

Substitute James Henry's injury time winner earned Bolton a dramatic victory over former leaders Scunthorpe.

Henry, a replacement for Zach Clough 10 minutes earlier, struck from 18 yards in the third of six minutes of added time with a shot that looked to deflect off Iron defender Murray Wallace.

Bolton's win took them into the automatic promotion places while Scunthorpe, top at the start of the day, slipped to third after Sheffield United's 1-0 win over Northampton earlier in the afternoon.

Until Henry's intervention Neal Bishop's fourth goal of the season appeared to have earned Graham Alexander's side a deserved draw.

Bolton, watched by the Macron Stadium's second biggest attendance of the season - 17,062 - led 1-0 at half-time.

Josh Vela's half volley from the edge of the area after 17 minutes was his eighth goal of the campaign.

Scunthorpe had a goal disallowed for offside but Clough wasted a good opportunity to double Wanderers' advantage and felt he should have had a penalty after Jordan Clarke's challenge.

Scunthorpe were much the better side after the break and they deservedly drew level when Bolton failed to clear a 62nd-minute corner and Bishop swivelled on the loose ball to rifle home from 10 yards. But their endeavours drew a blank courtesy of Henry's hammer blow.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Bradford City 1-1 Bury

Bradford staged a second-half fightback but were held to their fourth successive draw by struggling Bury, who are without a win in 14 matches.

The visitors, who ended a run of 12 defeats in a row with a goalless stalemate at Fleetwood on Boxing Day, went in front after 39 minutes when Scott Burgess latched on to a long through pass and lobbed the ball over the advancing Colin Doyle.

The goal came less than minute after Jordy Hiwula had missed Bradford's best chance.

Left-back Matt Kilgallon's cross was helped into his path but the on-loan striker saw his close range shot blocked.

Bradford began the second half brightly and deservedly equalised after 52 minutes, moments after Doyle had saved Burgess volley at the second attempt.

The ball was quickly cleared up field for James Hanson to head the ball into path of Hiwula. Ron Lainton saved Hiwula's shot but could not hold the ball and Nicky Law fired the rebound into the net to level the scores.

The home side continued to dominate but could not turn pressure into goals and substitute Mark McNulty twice missed good chances after Hanson headed the ball into his path and the tall striker also provided chances for Law and substitute Haris Vuckic, but their shots were off target.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Bristol Rovers 2-0 AFC Wimbledon

Matt Taylor took his goal tally for the season to 18 with a second-half brace as Bristol Rovers kept in close touch with the League One play-off places with a home win over AFC Wimbledon.

Last season's leading scorer in the Football League headed his side in front from Lee Brown's deep cross to the far post after 61 minutes, having been denied by Wimbledon goalkeeper James Shea seconds earlier.

Taylor wrapped up the points nine minutes later, cleverly making space inside the box to beat Shea with a low left-footed shot from a Chris Lines pass.

And the striker narrowly missed out on a hat-trick, heading inches wide from a Lines cross in the closing moments.

Neither side were able to create much in a disappointing first half, with the best chance falling to Wimbledon's Andy Barcham, whose shot was blocked by Rovers goalkeeper Will Puddy after a neat through ball from Tyrone Barnett.

Rovers were restricted to long-range efforts, the best a low drive from Billy Bodin on the half hour, which brought a comfortable diving save from Shea.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Fleetwood 1-0 Oldham Athletic

A stoppage-time own goal from Josh Law ended Oldham's stubborn resistance as Fleetwood Town left it late to claim a narrow win.

It took nearly half an hour for either keeper to be tested, a mistake from Fleetwood gifting the Latics their first opportunity.

Conor McLaughlin and Ash Hunter collided allowing Darius Osei space to break down the right, with Billy McKay firing into the arms of Alex Cairns from a tight angle.

Ryan Flynn then blazed just wide for the visitors who were barely troubled by the hosts before the break.

Fleetwood's first sight of goal came eight minutes into the second half, Hunter surging into space on the right of the box, his blast parried by Connor Ripley.

The introduction of Devante Cole lifted the home side's spirits, the former Manchester City man almost setting up an opener as he slipped past his man on the Fleetwood right but David Ball was unable to make contact as he raced to finish the move.

Cole's pace caused problems for the Latics and he could easily have put Fleetwood ahead on the hour, the striker showing a lack of composure in the final six yards as he sent the ball flying over the angle.

At the other end, a last-ditch Cian Bolger challenge denied Osei another chance to test Cairns.

A sloppy clearance from Nathan Pond then handed Lee Croft a chance to shoot from inside the box but his effort smashed into the side netting.

Chris Long might have settled it late on, cutting in from the left and forcing the save of the game from Ripley, the Latics keeper tipping over the bar.

But it was Cole who finally broke the visitors a minute into stoppage time, skipping in from the left, his cross from inside the six-yard box turned over the line by Law to leave the visitors stranded at the bottom of the table.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Oxford United 0-0 Walsall

Oxford United's first meeting with Walsall for 16 years ended in anti-climax with an uninspiring goalless draw at the Kassam Stadium.

The Saddlers arguably had the better of what few chances there were in a match in which defences were very much on top.

And after their 1-0 win at Port Vale on Boxing Day, Walsall can be satisfied with their end to 2016.

Oxford's top scorer Chris Maguire drove over the bar from 12 yards after a smart link-up with Marvin Johnson, who was a threat down the left.

But Walsall defended solidly and the U's had to work very hard to try to break them down.

Alex MacDonald managed to find space to send in a low shot early in the second half, but it hardly troubled keeper Neil Etheridge.

Saddlers striker Simeon Jackson fired Joe Edwards' cross over the bar at full stretch.

And U's keeper Simon Eastwood had to be at his best to turn Flo Cuvelier's 20-yard effort around a post.

Eastwood also produced a superb reaction save two minutes from time when an Edwards shot deflected off Chey Dunkley.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Peterborough 1-1 Coventry

New boss Russell Slade was denied his first win as Coventry boss by a last-gasp leveller at Peterborough.

The struggling Sky Blues were on course for victory after skipper Jordan Willis converted a Chris McCann cross in the 19th minute.

While that effort did prove enough to snap a run of seven successive League One defeats, Michael Bostwick's dramatic equaliser denied Slade's side victory.

The hosts had been way below par in a game of very few chances. It took until the second minute of the second half for them to test Coventry keeper Lee Burge, who kept out a Lee Angol header.

Burge then saved a 25-yard rocket from Marcus Maddison before a brilliant block prevented Bostwick from slamming in the rebound.

Burge also held a late Ryan Tafazolli effort in a scramble before Bostwick headed in Maddison's cross to rescue Posh a point in the third minute of added time.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Top Stories