Federico Fernandez: Swansea City defender signs new deal
Swansea defender Federico Fernandez has signed a new contract that will keep him at the club until 2020.
The Argentina centre-back, 28, was one of three Swans players the club received offers for in January, according to chairman Huw Jenkins.
But Fernandez, who played a major part in the Swans' revival has signed a fresh three-year deal.
"The new contract helps me because it shows I have confidence of the club," said Fernandez.
"Now I am looking forward to the future."
Fernandez, joined Swansea from Napoli in August 2014. He has not revealed which clubs had been keen on signing him last month.
He said: "The results and the performances have been better.
"And to sign a new deal is something special and something positive for me. I am very happy to have signed the contract.
"When I first arrived here, I found a really nice club a nice city.
"My family are very happy here. My little girl was born in Singleton Hospital and part of my life is here because I have been here for almost three years.
"I am happy with the football and in my private life."
Fernandez was alongside fellow defender Alfie Mawson in Swansea's 2-0 win over Leicester, which meant Swansea leapfrogged their opponents to reach 15th in the table, four points above the relegation places.
That was one of four Swansea wins in their last six league games under Paul Clement, who joined on 3 January, 2017.
"Since the boss came in, we have been more organised," said Fernandez.
"His ideas in training are very clear. We have taken that on board.
"We have talked a lot about staying compact to try to make sure we don't concede."
Swansea hope to maintain their form at leaders Chelsea on Saturday.