Mazembe fail to reach expanded Champions League group stage
TP Mazembe of the Democratic Republic of Congo suffered a shock exit from this year's African Champions League, losing on the away-goals ruling to Zimbabwe's CAPS United in Harare.
Mazembe were under pressure after being held to a 1-1 draw in the first leg of their last-32 tie at home in Lubumbashi last weekend
The away-goal proved to be crucial for CAPS United who withstood the pressure from Mazembe in the second leg in Harare, earning a 0-0 draw.
Mazembe, won won the African Champions League in 2015, were left frustrated by the Zimbabwean underdogs on Sunday in their search for a goal.
As in the first leg in Lubumbashi, CAPS United's goalkeeper, Edmore Sibanda, stood firm to deny the DR Congo giants a chance to score.
It means Mazembe now drop into the African Confederation Cup play-off round, where they will look to defend the title they won in 2016.
The result is a huge accomplishment for CAPS United of Zimbabwe who have returned to the African Champions League after an 11-year absence.
They will now enter the group phase of the tournament which has been expanded from eight to 16 clubs.
Champions League results (winners progress to group phase, losers to Confederation Cup):
- Kadiogo (Burkina Faso) 1-0 USM Alger (Algeria) - USM win 2-1 on aggregate
- Al Merreikh (Sudan) 4-0 Rivers United (Nigeria) - Merreikh win 4-3 on aggregate
- Tanda (Ivory Coast) 1-2 Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia) - Etoile win 5-1 on aggregate
- Horoya (Guinea ) 2-1 Esperance (Tunisia) - Esperance win 4-3 on aggregate
- FUS Rabat (Morocco) 3-1 Al Ahly Tripoli (Libya) - 3-3 on aggregate Ahly win on away goals
- KCCA (Uganda) 1-1 Mamelodi Sundowns (South Africa) - Sundowns win 3-2 on aggregate
- Mounana (Gabon) 1-0 Wydad Casablanca (Morocco) - 1-1 on aggregate Wydad win 5-4 on penalties
- Zanaco (Zambia) 0-0 Young Africans (Tanzania) - 1-1 on aggregate Zanaco win on away goals
- Barrack Young Controllers (Liberia) 2-0 Ferroviario Beira (Mozambique) - 2-2 on aggregate Ferroviario win 4-1 on penalties
- Enugu Rangers (Nigeria) 2-1 Zamalek (Egypt) - Zamalek win 5-3 on aggregate
- Vita Club (DR Congo) 2-0 Ports Authority (The Gambia) - Vita Club win 3-1 on aggregate
- CNsPS Sport (Madagascar) 1-1 Coton Sport (Cameroon) - Coton win 2-1 on aggregate
- Wits (South Africa) 0-0 Al Ahly (Egypt) - Ahly win 1-0 on aggregate
- CAPS United (Zimbabwe) 0-0 TP Mazembe (DR Congo) - 1-1 on aggregate CAPS win on away goals
- St George (Ethiopia) 2-0 Leopards (Congo) - St George win 3-0 on aggregate
- Port Louis (Mauritius) 2-2 Al Hilal (Sudan) - Hilal win 5-2 on aggregate