Borja Baston: Swansea City to decide on record signing's future
Swansea will decide on the future of record signing Borja Baston at the end of the season, the club's owners say.
Forward Borja, 24, joined from Atletico Madrid for £15m but has scored just one goal in 17 appearances for the Swans.
He was left out of the squad for Wednesday's defeat against Tottenham, casting further doubt over his future.
"Certainly we had higher expectations for Borja Baston," said Jason Levien, who bought a controlling stake in Swansea with Steve Kaplan last summer.
"He's still quite a young player and he certainly showed an ability to put the ball in the back of the net when playing in Spain.
"He hasn't had a tremendous amount of opportunities to play and, when he has played, we haven't got what we're hoping to get in those short periods of time.
"The question with Baston will go on until the off-season and we're going to have to evaluate what's our best path towards most efficiently using our resources to put on the pitch players who help us win."
Borja arrived at the Liberty Stadium with a burgeoning reputation, having scored 19 goals on loan at Eibar last season.
However, he has struggled to secure regular first-team action with Swansea, making only four Premier League starts so far.
'I take responsibility for Bradley'
Three of those starts came under former manager Bob Bradley, whose ill-fated reign lasted just 85 days and ended with the Swans bottom of the table.
Bradley has since been replaced by Paul Clement, who has overseen a significant improvement, although defeat against Tottenham saw Swansea drop back into the Premier League relegation zone.
Levien says the decision to appoint Bradley was primarily his and Kaplan's, albeit having consulted chairman Huw Jenkins and the other existing directors.
"We took that decision. I take responsibility for that decision," he said.
"It was our first 60 days as owners of the club and there was a decision made in our boardroom among all of us that we would make a managerial change [to sack Francesco Guidolin and appoint Bradley].
"We took decisive action and, for 85 days, we saw the action play out and we realised we needed to make another change. Once again we took decisive action.
"That responsibility falls on us. We made decisions that we thought were in the best interests of the club. When we realised there was an opportunity to do something swiftly to move forward in a different direction, we did that."