Borussia Dortmund team bus involved in explosion before Monaco game

Team bus
Police confirmed that there were three explosions around the Dortmund team bus

Borussia Dortmund's Champions League quarter-final with Monaco has been postponed after the Dortmund team bus was damaged by an explosion.

The German team confirmed that defender Marc Bartra broke his wrist in an incident near their hotel and required hospital treatment.

The match will now be played at Dortmund's Westfalenstadion at 17:45 BST on Wednesday.

Police confirmed there had been three explosions in the area of the team bus.

Media playback is not supported on this device

How Borussia Dortmund showed their class

Dortmund's chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke said: "There has been an attack with explosives on the team bus.

"The whole team is in a state of shock - you can't get pictures like that out of your head."

Windows were broken on the bus, which was six miles from the stadium at the time of the incident at around 18:00 BST, and former Barcelona centre-back Bartra was sent to hospital.

Police said the cause of the explosions, at Hochsten outside the city, was unclear, but added there had been no evidence of any threat to supporters.

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy tweeted his support, wishing Bartra a quick recovery, as did his former club.

Barcelona tweet
Marc Bartra's former club Barcelona tweeted their support
Borussia Dortmund

The night's other quarter-final between Juventus and Barcelona kicked off as scheduled.

Dortmund fans
The match was postponed around 15 minutes before the scheduled kick-off

Dortmund president Reinhard Rauball added: "Of course this is an extremely difficult situation for the players.

"But they are professionals, and I am convinced that they will put that away and will bring their performance on Wednesday."

Dortmund fans
Thousands of fans were inside the Westfalenstadion when they were told of the postponement

Top Stories