Manchester Arena attack: Great Manchester Run will go ahead on Sunday
|Athletics on the BBC|
|Friday: Great City Games Coverage times: 18:00-19:30 BST, BBC Two|
|Sunday: Great Manchester Run Coverage times: 12:30-14:30, BBC One Highlights: 17:00-1800, BBC Two|
The Great Manchester Run will go ahead on Sunday following talks over security after the Manchester Arena attack.
Europe's largest 10km run had more than 35,000 runners last year and there will also be a half-marathon this time.
"Manchester is a truly resilient city and we look forward to successfully hosting these great sporting events," city councillor Luthfur Rahman said.
Earlier, Chelsea cancelled their Premier League victory parade, which was due to take place on Sunday.
The club say it would be "inappropriate" with the UK terror threat at its highest level after Monday's bombing killed 22 people and injured 64.
Thousands expected at Great Run
Greater Manchester Police and the city council had already said athletics' Great City Games could take place in Manchester on Friday evening.
Now they have given the go-ahead for the Great Run, with additional security measures expected to be in force.
Rahman, the council's executive member for culture and leisure, said: "The Great CityGames and Great Manchester Run are two of the real highlights of Manchester's sporting calendar.
"We know that thousands of Mancunians have been looking forward to taking part, or cheering the athletes on, so I am pleased and proud to confirm that these fantastic events will be held as planned this weekend."
Olympic long jump champion Greg Rutherford is among those lined up to take part on Friday, with Sunday's field including Ethiopia's triple Olympic champions Kenenisa Bekele and Tirunesh Dibaba.
Chelsea call off parade
Chelsea had planned an open-top bus tour with the trophy and hoped to add the FA Cup in Saturday's final with Arsenal.
The Gunners have also said they will not stage a parade should they win.
A screening of the match at the club's Emirates Stadium has been cancelled and fans will be given refunds.
- Sport to conduct security reviews after attack
- Right for Man Utd final to go ahead - police
- Toure and agent to donate £100,000 to victims
Chelsea said players will make a donation to a fund supporting victims of the attack and they will wear black armbands for the final at Wembley, with a minute's silence beforehand.
"Everyone associated with Chelsea Football Club offers our heartfelt condolences to those affected by Monday's terror attack in Manchester," said a club statement.
"Our thoughts go out to all the victims and their families and friends."
Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis said the safety of supporters and staff was paramount and the club had been in close contact with the security services.
"After taking their advice we have reluctantly taken the decision to cancel the screening and potential parade," he said.
Spectators at all major events can expect to see more armed police and face longer security checks.
West Ham owner helps homeless man
A rough sleeper who helped victims of the bomb attack is to be given six months' free accommodation by David Sullivan, West Ham United's co-chairman.
Sullivan and his eldest son Dave were moved by reports of a man named Steve who tended to children when the bomb went off at a concert being given by American singer Ariana Grande.
West Ham's joint owner tracked down the homeless man after putting out an appeal on BBC Radio 5 live while his son took to social media.
They are now working out a plan to pay his rent for the next six months, while also providing him with new clothes and opportunities to find work .
"Steve was just one of hundreds of people who forgot about their own safety and rushed to the aid of others, and we were both moved by his story," David Sullivan told 5 live.
Sport pays tribute after attack
A minute's silence was observed before the Europa League final between Manchester United and Ajax in Stockholm on Wednesday and both sides wore black armbands.
The opening ceremony was considerably reduced as a mark of respect for the victims.
England and South Africa stood shoulder to shoulder for a minute's silence before the first match of the one-day cricket series at Headingley.
Both teams wore black armbands as they took the field in Leeds, with all 15 members of the England squad lining up on the pitch alongside the tourists and umpires for a sombrely observed silence.
Formula 1 is expected to observe a silence before this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix.
F1's teams, the majority of which are based in Britain, have also agreed to have #Manchester on their cars.
British driver Lewis Hamilton said he would be thinking of the victims.
"I am carrying them in my heart this weekend," Hamilton said. "It is difficult to think about it and it is just crazy to think where we are in the world."
What about other events?
Salford will waive admission prices for their next rugby league match in return for donations to the appeal fund.
Fans can obtain free tickets for the Red Devils' Super League match against Catalans Dragons at the AJ Bell Stadium on Friday night but will be asked to make a donation in return.
"Like everybody, I was shocked and outraged by the events of Monday night," said Salford owner Dr Marwan Koukash, a Palestinian refugee who became a self-made millionaire after coming to England to study.
Supporters attending this weekend's football play-off finals at Wembley are being urged to arrive at least an hour before kick-off.
Blackpool take on Exeter City in League Two on Sunday while Huddersfield Town face Reading in Monday's Championship match. Both games start at 15:00 BST.
Fans are asked not to bring bags, with extra security in place. A minute's silence will be held before both games, with players and match officials wearing black armbands.
Police Scotland will be reviewing its security, including arrangements for Saturday's Scottish Cup final.
Premiership Rugby said there will be a minute's silence before Saturday's final between Exeter and Wasps at Twickenham.
And in the Women's Super League, Manchester City Women's home game against Chelsea Ladies on Thursday night will go ahead after discussions with police. The game, which will kick off at 19:00, is the first professional sports fixture to take place in the city after the attack.
Security around the Indianapolis 500 in the US will be beefed up this weekend. "One thing fans may notice this year, there will be an increased presence of armed law enforcement folks wandering through the grounds," Indianapolis Motor Speedway president Doug Boles said.