Europa League: Derry City 1-4 FC Midtjylland (2-10 on aggregate)
Derry City suffered a 4-1 defeat against Danish side FC Midtjylland in the second leg of their Europa League first round qualifier at the Sligo Showgrounds.
Derry were thumped 6-1 in the first leg last week and were once again outclassed as the visitors dominated the game.
Striker Paul Onuachu scored a hat-trick in a dominant display whilst Aaron McEneff's well taken first-half goal offered a rare bright moment for the Candystripes.
Despite conceding 10 goals across the two legs, the scoreline could have been a lot worse for Derry were it not for some brilliant saves from goalkeeper Gerard Doherty.
Two first-half goals from Onuachu ended any hopes of an unlikely Derry comeback but McEneff offered his side some consolation with a well taken goal just before the break, slaloming between two defenders before slotting home.
Substitute Gustav Wikheim scored the Danes' third goal less than a minute after coming onto the pitch after patient play on the left from Onuachu.
The Nigerian striker then completed his hat-trick as Wikheim turned provider, slotting under Doherty to take his side's goal tally for the tie into double figures.
Derry, who currently sit fifth in the League of Ireland, will now turn their attentions to Sunday's Premier Division fixture against Sligo Rovers.
- 16BoyleSubstituted forPattersonat 63'minutes
- 14HoldenSubstituted forTimlinat 76'minutes
- 24WhitesideBooked at 29minsSubstituted forToddat 72'minutesBooked at 90mins
- 5Dal Hende
- 18RiisBooked at 44minsSubstituted forHansenat 45'minutesBooked at 73mins
- 14KroonBooked at 37minsSubstituted forWikheimat 58'minutes
- 28RomerSubstituted forKristensenat 70'minutes
- Rade Obrenovic