Jenson Button says no decision has been made on his F1 future

Media playback is not supported on this device

Jenson Button cryptic on McLaren future
Brazilian Grand Prix
Date: 7-9 November First practice: Friday, 7 November 11:55-13:35 GMT Second practice: Friday, 7 November 15:55-17:35 Third practice: Saturday, 8 November 12:55-14:05 Qualifying: Saturday, 8 November 17:00-17:05 Race coverage: Sunday, 9 November 15:30-18:06 BBC Radio 5 live & live text commentary online; highlights 20:30-22:00 on BBC One

Jenson Button insists he has not made a decision on his future - but hinted he will do soon and he may leave Formula 1.

Fernando Alonso is on the verge of joining McLaren next year, leaving a choice between Button and his team-mate Kevin Magnussen for the second seat.

Asked if he had decided what to do in 2015, Button said: "No. Nothing. Yet."

But he said that being unsure about his future "opens your eyes to different challenges and possibilities".

Button, 34, has had talks with Porsche about moving to endurance racing next season, a move former F1 driver Mark Webber made at the end of 2013.

McLaren are leaning towards retaining Magnussen, who is in his debut season this year, and it is understood that even if the team were to ask Button to stay, he may turn them down.

Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen
Fernando Alonso is on the verge of joining McLaren next year, leaving the team to choose between Jenson Button and his team-mate Kevin Magnussen for the second seat

Sources close to Button, who has driven for McLaren for five years, say he has not been impressed by the way the team have handled the situation regarding their future driver line-up.

Asked if he would stay at McLaren for 2015 if they asked him, the 2009 world champion said: "That's a good question that I can't answer at this moment in time.

"When you're not sure if your contract's going to be renewed, it opens your eyes to different challenges and possibilities. Whether it's racing, doing another sport or something different I'm excited about the challenges ahead.

"I have a lot of different ideas for my future, whether it's next year or the year after.

"F1 is a massive part of my life and motor racing has been. It's not going to stop, it will continue.

"But never feel that I'm being pushed out of the sport because I'm definitely going to be in it in some way, and it's going to be a massive challenge."

Asked if he was disappointed by McLaren's stance, he said: "You want me to say I'm disappointed, but this is F1.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Formula 1: Jenson Button wants "to go racing" next season

"There are many things to be disappointed about in this sport, (such as) if you don't have a quick car.

"I'm a world champion, I want to win grands prix. And if you don't have a quick car you're disappointed so that's the bit that hurts more than anything.

"I drive an F1 car, I'm doing my dream job, my hobby, something I'm pretty damn good at."

Double world champion Alonso has previously said that whatever decision he makes will be the best decision for Ferrari.

He added: "Two or three months ago, I took a decision, I followed that direction, and hopefully you will know soon."

Asked how it could be the best for Ferrari if he left, Alonso said: "Well, if I feel they need new motivation and they need to work in the future with less pressure."

Brazilian Grand Prix coverage details.

Top Stories