Daniel Ricciardo: Red Bull driver says Ferrari move is unlikely

Daniel Ricciardo
Ricciardo replaced fellow Australian Mark Webber at Red Bull in 2014
British Grand Prix on the BBC
Venue: Silverstone: Dates: 3 July to 5 July
Coverage: Live on BBC TV, Red Button, Radio 5 live, 5 live sports extra, online, mobile, the BBC Sport app and Connected TV. Full details here

Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo says it is unlikely he will move to Ferrari next year, but has not ruled it out.

Ferrari have told Kimi Raikkonen he has to improve to stay for 2016, and Ricciardo is said by sources to be the main target if the Finn leaves.

Ricciardo, 25, has a contract until 2018 and said "from my understanding it's not likely I can get out".

He added: "I would never rule anything out completely. I don't have experience with contracts. Things can change."

The Australian, speaking in the lead-up to Sunday's British Grand Prix, said it was "a compliment" to be "recognised" by Ferrari.

He said: "We're not talking about contracts or anything. But first and foremost what I want is to win.

"A lot of my frustration this year is because of that. We're not in a position to win. As a driver that is really the only thing you want, at least at this point in my career when I'm still young and hungry and I feel like I have a lot of potential in me."

Media playback is not supported on this device

Ricciardo: Red Bull & the animal within

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said: "Daniel knows the team's desire to be competitive, he believes in the team and there is no risk or discussion of him being anywhere else other than Red Bull for a minimum of three years."

Ricciardo, who finished third in the drivers' standings in his debut season, said Red Bull's struggles had been difficult for him to accept this year.

"It has tested my personality a bit more," he said. "I have always known deep down I have been a pretty fierce competitor. I have never liked losing.

"I have become a better sportsman with age. I have handled losses better. But still deep down my heart is very competitive. I want to win and proving what I did last year only makes that fire burn more. So it has been a little bit more challenging this year to take a step back.

"To accept that was not easy at first. But at the same time I know this sport can do those things and unfortunately it is a game of patience."

Ricciardo added he had confidence the team could become competitive again in 2016, when they hope for an improved engine from Renault.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Renault engine unacceptable - Christian Horner

"I really feel Red Bull can make a change for next year and can get back up the front," Ricciardo said.

"We still have good people in the team and the ingredients to do it. That next step has to be the right step and I think we can get back up there."

Renault's engine is in the region of 50-70bhp behind the standard-setting Mercedes this season, and Ricciardo said there was little hope of a major step before the end of the year.

He said: "It is more looking towards next year. It's important for the team to set up a championship target next year."

Ricciardo said that, with a competitive engine, the Red Bull car was "in the ballpark" with Mercedes.

He said: "If we'd be faster than them, I don't know, but it would be close enough to put some pressure on."

What's on - and when - in the next 10 days?
Wimbledon order of playWomen's World Cup
British Grand PrixThe Ashes

Top Stories