F1 gossip: Hamilton, IndyCar, Vettel, Lauda, Mercedes

Sunday, 4 June

Sebastian Vettel
Sebastian Vettel leads the drivers' championship by 25 points from Lewis Hamilton

IndyCar drivers James Hinchcliffe and Graham Rahal have hit back at Lewis Hamilton after the Briton questioned the depth of quality drivers in the American series. (USA Today)

Mercedes driver Hamilton needs championship leader Sebastian Vettel to "retire at least once" if he is to regain the world title, according to Mercedes chairman Niki Lauda. (Daily Mail)

Liberty Media would like more than 21 races in the Formula 1 calendar.(Reuters via F1 Today)

Mercedes-AMG's plans to put an F1 engine in a road-legal hypercar are progressing. (ESPN)

This content will not work on your device, please check Javascript and cookies are enabled or update your browser

Saturday, 3 June

Mario Andretti (left) and Fernando Alonso
Alonso raced for Mario Andretti's team at the Indy 500 last week

Mario Andretti believes Fernando Alonso is "wasting his time" in the "best phase of his career" as he races for struggling McLaren in F1. (Marca via Planet F1)

Force India boss Vijay Mallya has campaigned for a fairer split of F1's prize money and is "disappointed" that fellow team owner Gene Haas supports the current income distribution system. (Autosport)

Williams deputy team principal, Claire Williams, says critics of 18-year-old driver Lance Stroll need to "cut him some slack".(ESPN)

Stroll has not scored any points in six races so far this season in his rookie year but the Canadian says: "I don't want to sound cocky, but I don't doubt my ability as a racing driver". (Crash.net)

Friday, 2 June

Renault's British driver Jolyon Palmer is "fighting to save his career" after a combination of bad luck and poor performances. The 26-year-old has yet to register a point in the 2017 standings. (AutoWeek)

Jolyon Palmer was in a coma after crashing a quad bike at the age of 16
Jolyon Palmer was in a coma after crashing a quad bike at the age of 16

Red Bull have threatened to leave Formula 1 if the regulations on engines do not change. (F1Today.net)

Mercedes' Valtteri Bottas does not see Red Bull Racing's strong Monaco Grand Prix performance as a resurgence. Australian Daniel Ricciardo and Dutchman Max Verstappen finished third and fifth respectively. (F1i.com)

McLaren reserve driver Jenson Button will make his Super GT debut in the Suzuka 1000km race in August. (Autosport)

Red Bull drivers Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo took to the circuit at Spielberg in Austria in Aston Martins towing caravans for a race to promote the Austrian Grand Prix
Red Bull drivers Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo took to the circuit at Spielberg in Austria in Aston Martins towing caravans for a race to promote the Austrian Grand Prix

Thursday, 1 June

Ferrari reserve driver Antonio Giovinazzi has been given seven practice slots by Haas over the remainder of the season, the first of which will be at the British Grand Prix in July. (Formula1.com)

Red Bull technical boss Adrian Newey has defended his team's pit strategy in Monaco, insisting it was not clear whether pitting first or second would be best for drivers. (Motorsport.com)

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says Ferrari got a 16-week head start on developing their 2017 car, which he says is making a big difference. (Suddeutsche Zeitung, via Autoweek)

Force India say Sergio Perez is not a "reckless" driver, after Toro Rosso's Daniil Kvyat accused him of a "desperate" move at the Monaco Grand Prix. (Eurosport)

Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton shows off his engine-handling skills on the water

Wednesday, 31 May

McLaren driver Fernando Alonso says the only team he is not considering joining next season is Red Bull. (Planeta Calleja, via Autoweek)

Formula 1's new owners Liberty Media should not go "socialist" with their wealth distribution plans, says team boss Gene Haas, who believes the big teams should continue to earn more. (Motorsport)

Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn is furious with Jenson Button for colliding with Pascal Wehrlein on his return to Formula 1 at the Monaco Grand Prix. (Autosport)

Team-mates Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen have been racing each other in caravans around the Red Bull track in Austria. (Red Bull)

Kimi Raikkonen outperformed Ferrari team-mate Sebastian Vettel by scoring a hat-trick in a charity match at Juventus Stadium in Turin. (Daily Mail)

Daniil Kvyat and Liam Cunningham
Game of Thrones fan (and Toro Rosso driver) Daniil Kvyat poses with the TV show's Liam Cunningham

Tuesday, 30 May

The season-opening Australian Grand Prix will be moved back to mid-March by Formula 1 owners Liberty Media to stop the race clashing with the start of the Aussie rules season. (Sydney Morning Herald)

Jenson Button says Formula 1 is now "the way it should be" due to new regulations but insists he will not be returning full-time after deputising for McLaren's Fernando Alonso in Monaco. (Autosport)

Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost has blamed Force India driver Sergio Perez for Daniil Kvyat's crash at the Monaco Grand Prix.(Motorsport)

Fernando Alonso and Takuma Sato
Fernando Alonso takes a photo with Indy 500 winner Takuma Sato after engine problems ended the Spaniard's bid

Monday, 29 May

Renault are in advanced talks with Force India driver Sergio Perez to replace Jolyon Palmer next season. (L'Equipe - in French)

Sauber driver Marcus Ericsson says brake problems caused him to crash into a wall when trying to unlap himself passing the safety car during the Monaco Grand Prix. (Motorsport)

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says he does not believe that Ferrari orchestrated Sebastian Vettel's victory over team-mate Kimi Raikkonen in Monaco. (ESPN)

Romain Grosjean surfing
Haas driver Romain Grosjean is still seeking thrills after the weekend's Monaco Grand Prix

Top Stories