Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Summary

  1. Get in touch using #bbcsportsday or text 81111
  2. Twelve-time Grand Slam champion Djokovic will not play again for the rest of 2017
  3. Spurs chairman says Premier League spending 'unsustainable'
  4. Man City have no intention to pay prices quoted for Mbappe
  5. Gossip: Barcelona 'continue pursuit' of Liverpool's Coutinho

Live Reporting

By Mike Henson and Libby Dawes

All times stated are UK

Get involved

That's all from us for today.

Thanks for joining us and don't forget to tune into the World Swimming Championships live on BBC Two from 16:30 BST where swimming's own Messi, Adam Peaty goes for further success in the men's 50m breaststroke final.

Will he break his own world record for the third time in two days?

Mbappe in talks over contract extension

Kylian Mbappe
Getty Images

Monaco are in talks with Kylian Mbappe over a contract extension for the 18-year-old striker, says the French club's vice-president.

Mbappe, one of the most sought-after talents in football, has been strongly linked with a move to Real Madrid.

Manchester City have also been linked, but BBC Sport understands the club are reluctant to pay the reported 180m euro (£160m) asking price.

Vadim Vasilyev said Monaco have had several "serious" enquiries.

But he added: "We are in discussions over a contract extension with Kylian and we hope to reach an agreement."

Koeman also confirmed Phil Jagielka will remain Everton captain despite former England captain Wayne Rooney joining the squad.

"Gareth Barry is the second captain and Leyton Baines is the third captain", he said with a wry smile as if to say, 'soz Wayne'....

Phil Jagielka
Getty Images

'I 100% expect Barkley to leave' - Koeman

Ross Barkley
Getty Images

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley is "looking for a new challenge" and is expected to leave the club, says manager Ronald Koeman.

Barkley, 23, has one year left on his contract but has failed to sign a new deal.

He was given an ultimatum by Koeman to extend his stay at the Merseyside club or be sold.

Koeman also said on Wednesday he was still interested in Swansea City midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson.

One more striker?

Everton have so far signed four players in this transfer window - Rooney, Michael Keane, Sandro Ramirez and Cuco Martina.

"I am really happy with how the new players have adapted to the new team. We've signed some very good players with great experience which has made the team stronger.

"It also gives the squad more competition which they need."

Asked if the squad is complete for the new season, he says, "I hope not..."

Rooney's return was an easy decision - Koeman

Wayne ROoney
Getty Images

"We've signed some very good players which has made the team stronger", said Koeman a moment ago.

This is the first time Koeman has spoken to the press since Wayne Rooney re-signed for his boyhood club.

"I am really happy with Wayne Rooney. What he showed to me was what we needed. He is used to winning title and that is what we want."

"To bring his ambition and spirit back in his club made it an easy decision to advise the board to sign him."

Everton boss Ronald Koeman has been preparing his squad before they face Ruzomberok in their Europa League qualifying match tomorrow.

He has been speaking to the press about team news and a bit of transfer gossip...

Djokovic to take six months out

Djokovic to take six months out

Tennis

Djokovic played 1146 matches across 15 seasons and 51 consec slams without a single lengthy layoff until today. That's a pretty good deal.

Novak Djokovic has certainly earned a bit of time off, even it has been forced on him...

Djokovic to take six months out

Tennis

Novak Djokovic: There is no need for surgery, all doctors I consulted with said it was not necessary. I considered all options very srsly.

Novak Djokovic confirms that he will not be going under the knife during his break from the sport.

'I firmly believe I will come back stronger'

Tennis

Novak Djokovic
getty

Novak Djokovic has also revealed more about the nature of the elbow injury that has forced him to bring his 2017 season to an early end.

“My elbow is hurt due to excessive playing, and it troubles me constantly when serving, and now when playing forehand as well," he said.

"My body has its limits, and I have to respect that and be grateful for all that I have achieved so far.

"At the beginning of my career I was facing health issues, but during years, and with a lot of patience and dedication, I found a solution. That’s the approach I take to this situation, and I firmly believe that I will come back stronger.”

Watch the moment Djokovic succumbed to injury...

Tennis

Here is the moment Novak Djokovic retired from his Wimbledon quarter-final against Tomas Berdych.

Djokovic retires due to injury

'All the specialists agree'

Tennis

Novak Djokovic
Getty Images

“All the doctors I’ve consulted, and all the specialists I have visited, in Serbia and all over the world, have agreed that this injury requires rest," said Novak Djokovic as he announced that he would bring his 2017 season to an early end.

"A prolonged break from the sport is inevitable. I’ll do whatever it takes to recover. I will use the upcoming period to strengthen my body and also to improve certain tennis elements that I have not been able to work on over the past years, due to a demanding schedule."

Djokovic to miss first major since 2004

Tennis

Novak Djokovic will miss a Grand Slam for first time at US Open next month. Had played 51 straight since major debut at 2005 Australian Open

Novak Djokovic's break from tennis is an unusual in a career that has been characterised by consistency as well as success.

BreakingDjokovic out of the remainder of 2017 season

Tennis

Novak djokovic
Gewtty

Novak Djokovic has announced that he will not play for the rest of the 2017 season.

The 30-year-old suffered a elbow injury that forced his withdrawal from Wimbledon midway through his quarter-final against Tomas Berdych.

Coach Andre Agassi has committed to stay with the former world number one for the 2018 season, but Djokovic may have dropped out of the top 10 by the time he resumes his career.

Markovic set for Fiorentina move?

Football

Lazar Markovic
Getty

Winger Lazar Markovic could be set to leave Liverpool for Fiorentina according to Goal.

The 23-year-old, who signed from Benfica in July 2014, has failed to make much impact at Anfield, spending time on loan at Fenerbache, Sporting Lisbon and Hull.

The Reds are said to want £16m for him, with Watford and Leicester also interest

Wilshere wants to stay close to London

Jack Wilshere
Getty Images

Tthe Independent say Stevenage-born Jack Wilshere wants to stay close to London if he leaves Arsenal this summer.

They say West Ham is his preferred destination.

We wonder what constitutes "close" to London - it can take you a fair old chunk of time to get around parts of London...

Perisic deal possible admit Inter

Football

Ivan Perisic
Getty Images

Inter Milan are reportedly ready to do business with Manchester United over Croatian winger Ivan Perisic.

Jose Mourinho apparently wants the 28-year-old to add pace and attacking threat to his midfield and Inter counterpart Luciano Spalletti has conceded that a deal might be possible if United get close to their £48m valuation.

"If someone comes in with a very difficult offer to reject, then we'll consider that, but of course, we'll need to find a valid alternative for Perisic as well," said the Italian in comments reported by the Independent.

Wigan and Hull head down under

Rugby League

Win Stadium
Getty

Wigan and Hull will play the first-ever Super League match to be staged outside of Europe, when they meet at the WIN Stadium in Wollongong, Australia on 10 February.

The teams will meet National Rugby League opposition the following week with Wigan playing South Sydney Rabbitohs and Hull FC meeting St George Illawarra Dragons at ANZ Stadium, Sydney on Saturday 17 February, 2018.

"We firmly believe that the Wigan and Hull fans will be as excited about this venture as we are," said Wigan chairman Ian Lenagan.

"We have announced early to allow fans the chance to plan their trip to Australia and, at the same time, to provide clarity on the number of home games for the 2018 season before Season Ticket packages are launched later this year.”

Ben Arfa unwanted in France

Football

hatem ben arfa
Getty

Might Hatem Ben Arfa turn up in the Premier League next season?

The 30-year-old, who had spells at Newcastle and Hull during his time in England, has been told that he is surplus to requirements at Paris St-Germain while Nice president Jean-Pierre Rivere has closed to the door on a possible return to his club.

"He has a very big salary in Paris, and other European clubs are in better positions to interest him," said Rivere.

"We were very happy to have him at our place, and it was a beautiful story we shared. However, it is the past and we need to turn the page."

Women's cricket to be recognised on Lord's boards

Cricket

England's world cup winner
Getty

The accomplishments of the female game's greatest exponents are set to be immortalised at Lord's for the first time in the wake of England's World Cup win.

"We are looking into an ­honours board in one-day cricket for everybody,” Derek Brewer, the MCC chief executive told the Daily Telegraph.

“There are some practical issues we have to address first, such as where it will be situated and how long back in time we go but it is certainly on our minds."

United 'better equipped' for title bid

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho seems to think along the same lines as Levy....

Clubs are creating 'strange and out of control' market - Mourinho

Didn't stop him paying £75m for Romelu Lukaku though did it.....

Spurs chairman says Premier League spending 'unsustainable'

Daniel Levy
Getty Images

Think Spurs are having a quiet transfer window? There is a reason for that....

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has defended his club's lack of transfer activity this summer and claimed the spending by other Premier League clubs is "unsustainable".

"Somebody spending £200m more than they're earning, eventually it catches up with you. And you can't keep doing it", he has said in a Nasdaq Q&A in New York.

Bet there was a great buffet....

More than a staggering £850m has been spent by top-flight sides in the transfer window, which ends on 31 August.

But Tottenham, who sold Kyle Walker to Manchester City for £45m this month, have not made any signings.

"We have a duty to manage the club appropriately," said Levy.

Read more from Levy here.

Football

View more on twitter

(NB: You will only be able to watch the Instagram Live on mobile devices - apologies desk-toppers!)

Van Dijk 'expects to be a Liverpool player'

Football

Virgil van Dijk
PA

7 June: Liverpool "confirm we have ended any interest in Virgil van Dijk".

You would think that would be the end of the matter.

But apparently not.

The Southampton centre-back, 25, has remained on the south coast as the Saints head off on their pre-season tour and according to Sky Sports, still believes that he will be playing his football at Anfield next season.

City not interested in big-money Mbappe

Football

Kylian Mbappe
Getty Images

Manchester City have been spending big this summer, but not apparently even their deep, deep pockets don't stretch as far as Kylian Mbappe's reported £160m price tag.

After being linked with a sudden move for the 18-year-old Monaco striking sensation, City have denied that they are interested in entering an arms races with Real Madrid.

Man City categorically deny making a bid for #ASMonaco forward Kylian Mbappe. #MCFC have no intention of pursuing him at prices being quoted

Or...

Football

Naby Keita
Getty Images

Or are the German club bluffing?

German media outlet Bild report that RB Leipzig are privatley preparing for Naby Keita's move to Liverpool.

They report that sporting director Ralf Rangnick has dispatched scouts to find a replacement for the 22-year-old Guinea midfielder.

Liverpool are rumoured to be preparing a third bid - of £74m - for the player.

RB Leipzig preparing for next season WITH 'world class’ Keita

Naby Keita
Getty Images

RB Leipzig are not showing any signs of weakness and Liverpool are not giving up...

According to The Liverpool Echo, The Reds have apparently had two bids rejected for midfielder Naby Keita but the German side are preparing for next season with the player in the squad.

The club’s managing director Oliver Mintzlaff said the club are "looking forward to the next season together.”

Keita, who was also labelled ‘world class’ by Mintzlaff, caused a stir earlier this week when he injured team-mate Diego Demme at an open session in Austria.

Swoop?

Speaking of Bayern Munich, The Independent say the midfielder Renato Sanches has revealed he wants to leave, with AC Milan and Manchester United interested in the £43m-rated 19-year-old.

But will Jurgen Klopp be impressed if he faces Liverpool in the Audi Cup? Could there be a good old fashioned Premier League "swoop"?

Renato Sanches
Getty Images

Coutinho 'agrees terms with Barcelona'

Tweet
Twitter

According to Catalan radio presenter Gerard Romero, Barcelona have already agreed personal terms with Philippe Coutinho and all that is left is the small matter of hammering out a deal with Liverpool for their 25-year-old playmaker.

Plenty of legs left in this transfer rumour.

But is Coutinho heading to Germany?

Jurgen Klopp
Getty Images

If we are honest, sending officials to England when Coutinho is about to board a plane to Germany seems futile...

Jurgen Klopp has announced his 30-man squad to face Hertha BSC in Berlin on Saturday.

They will then be participating in the Audi Cup - alongside Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid and Napoli.

The squad in full: Karius, Clyne, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Milner, Firmino, Coutinho, Salah, Gomez, Henderson, Sturridge, Grujic, Klavan, Moreno, Mane, Lallana, Mignolet, Can, Robertson, Origi, Ings, Solanke, Matip, Flanagan, Kent, Ward, Ejaria, Woodburn, Alexander-Arnold, Grabara.

Barca still persisting with Coutinho?

Philippe Coutinho
Getty Images

According to reports in Spanish paper Sport, Barcelona have sent officials to England to try to sign Philippe Coutinho despite Liverpool rejecting a £72m bid from the Spanish giants for the 25-year-old forward.

If your GCSE spanish is letting you down, The Daily Express have expanded on the rumour here...

Welcome to Sportsday

Good morning and welcome to this lunchtime edition of Sportsday live.

We need you to get in touch about anything that sparks an opinion today using #bbcsportsday or if you can't fit it into 140 characters then you can text us on 81111...

Let's get started by having a look through today's papers for some transfer gossip.