Widnes Vikings 18-38 Salford City Reds

Luke Patten

Widnes (6) 18

Ah Van 2, Flynn
Ah Van 2, Hanbury

Salford (32) 38

Patten 2, Holdsworth 2, Broughton, Owen, Paleaaesina
Holdsworth 5

Salford earned their first win of the season at the third time of asking as they won comfortably at Widnes.

The game was all over by the break as Salford ran in six first-half tries from Luke Patten (2), Daniel Holdsworth (2), Jodie Broughton and Gareth Owen.

Widnes had scored one lone first-half try from Patrick Ah Van, who added a second after the break, Paddy Flynn also crossing.

But Iafeta Paleaaesina's second-half try wrapped up victory for the Reds.

Holdsworth kicked five of his seven attempts at goal, while Ah Van landed both his conversion attempts, Rhys Hanbury booting the home side's third goal.

Sunday's meeting at the Stobart Stadium was the first Super League clash between the two sides in seven seasons.

The Vikings were without Scott Moore, Hep Cahill and Simon Finnigan, all suspended for a breach of club discipline.

And, having then lost Ben Kavanagh, who could be out for six months after snapping his Achilles tendon, and Aussie debutant Anthony Watts with a knee injury, they trailed 32-6 at half-time.

Although turning in an improved second half show, Widnes stay rooted to the foot of the table, still looking for their first point since returning to Super League.

Coach Denis Betts said that Cahill and Simon Finnigan, two of the three players suspended for a breach of club discipline, will be available for selection against world champions Leeds next week.

But Scott Moore, the third player suspended, will be out five to six weeks, as he is understood to be suffering from a broken jaw.

Several Salford players were given permission by the Rugby Football League to wear tights to combat the risk of injuries on the synthetic pitch at the Stobart Stadium.

The Reds also lost Vinnie Anderson with an elbow injury, but coach Phil Veivers refused to criticise the controversial surface.


Widnes coach Denis Betts told BBC Radio Merseyside:

Media playback is not supported on this device

Betts laments first half display

"Some of our decision-making was terrible and there were a few individuals who needed a good look at their first-half performance. I asked for an improvement at half-time and got a response.

"We had a different attitude in the second half after giving away needless penalties and losing the collisions. We are still finding our feet in this environment but expectations are high and we all thought we could win today."

"It's tough luck for Ben Kavanagh, who has trained and worked very hard."

Salford coach Phil Veivers told BBC Radio Manchester:

Media playback is not supported on this device

'Filthy' second half by Reds - Veivers

"I thought we played some really good, enterprising stuff in the first 40 minutes.

"The players understand how frustrated I was in the second half. It's two weeks in a row that we've come up with two disappointing 40 minutes so we need to improve on that.

"There's nothing wrong with how we create opportunities. It's just how we execute the final bit. We need to be more clinical."


Widnes: Craven; Flynn, Marsh, Isa, Ah Van; White, Hanbury; Cross, Clarke, Davies, Winterstein, Allen, Haggerty.

Replacements: Watts, Kavanagh, Leuluai, Mullally.

Salford: Patten; Broughton, Nero, Gibson, Williams; Holdsworth, Smith; McPherson, Howarth, Gledhill, Adamson, Anderson, Wild.

Replacements: Owen, Sidlow, Jewitt, Paleaaesina.

Attendance: 5,053.

Referee: James Child (Dewsbury).

Top Stories