George North concussion: Wales confident over fitness

Media playback is not supported on this device

George North mid-match concussion assessment 'tokenism', says Dr Barry O'Driscoll
RBS Six Nations: Scotland v Wales
Venue: Murrayfield, Edinburgh Date: Sunday, 15 February Kick-off: 15:00 GMTCoverage: Live on BBC TV, HD, Red Button, Radio 5 live, BBC Radio Wales, Radio Cymru, the BBC Sport website, BBC iPlayer, S4C online, mobile, the BBC Sport app and Connected TV; text commentary on the BBC Sport website.

Wales are confident wing George North will be fit to face Scotland at Murrayfield in the Six Nations on Sunday, BBC Sport has learned.

The Northampton wing, 22, suffered two head blows in Wales' defeat by England.

He passed the sport's concussion protocol for the first-half incident, but his second-half blow in their tournament opener was not spotted.

Wales' medics will have a live video feed in future games in a bid to avoid missing such incidents.

A Wales statement, issued on Saturday, 7 February, read: "Retrospective video review of the second incident identified the mechanism of injury which was previously unsighted on the field of play."

North will continue to be monitored while the WRU has also confirmed tight-head prop Samson Lee was concussed in the game.

World Rugby asked the WRU for a full report on the assessment of North.

He received a boot to the head while on the floor during the first half of the England match.

Media playback is not supported on this device

2015 Six Nations highlights: Wales 16-21 England

He was off the field for eight minutes, but returned to the action after passing a concussion assessment.

Midway through the second half the Northampton Saints back suffered another blow to the head, falling to the floor.

The WRU says the second incident was not seen at the time and, although North had "no signs and symptoms", they treated him as concussed after studying video footage.

However, World Rugby studied footage of the second-half incident and said it wanted answers.

The initial statement released on World Rugby's website read: "Having undertaken an initial review of the broadcast footage, World Rugby is seeking to establish from the WRU whether all concussion management protocols were appropriately followed.

"Concussion management and education is at the heart of World Rugby's player welfare strategy designed to protect players at all levels of the game and promote the very highest standards of education, coaching and medical care."

After the game Gatland defended the Wales medical staff.

"The medical team definitely wouldn't have allowed him back on the field unless they were 100% confident that he was OK," said Gatland.

Wales in the 2015 Six Nations
Friday, 6 February: Wales 16-21 England
Sunday, 15 February: Scotland (Murrayfield)
Saturday, 28 February: France (Paris)
Saturday, 14 March: Ireland (Cardiff)
Saturday, 21 March: Italy (Rome)

Wales will aim to get their Six Nations campaign back on track at Murrayfield on Saturday, 14 February.

But they could be without Scarlets prop Lee, 22, who was concussed while winning his 10th cap against England.

A Wales statement read: "Samson Lee has suffered a concussion and will also be undertaking a graduated return to play protocol, consisting of a number of cognitive and physical tests prior to returning to training."

Aside from North and Lee, they have injury concerns over fly-half Dan Biggar (cut forehead) and full-back Leigh Halfpenny (neck).

Like North, Lee is also undergoing tests and will have time off before he can resume training.

Halfpenny is expected to recover in time for the clash against the Scots.

"Leigh Halfpenny sustained a mild neck injury that will be treated by the medical team this week," the WRU statement said.

"This injury is unlikely to keep the player out for the following week's fixture."

Top Stories