Shinty: Last-minute penalty joy for Glenurquhart against Lovat

Glenurquhart goalkeeper Stuart MacKintosh saves
Goalkeeper Stuart MacKintosh was Glenurquhart's penalty hero

Glenurquhart goalkeeper Stuart MacKintosh was the toast of Drumnadrochit after a 90th-minute penalty save preserved a 1-0 lead over Lovat in Kiltarlity to give Glen two vital points in the Premiership relegation battle.

In the clash between the teams on either side of Glen, bottom club Fort William got their second point of the season, 2-2 at home to draw specialists Skye, who, although with three games in hand, now avoid the bottom two only on goal difference from Glenurquhart.

Champions Newtonmore took advantage of leaders Oban Camanachd having no game and went back to the top with a 3-1 defeat of Lochaber.

And Kinlochshiel went second following a comfortable 4-1 victory over Kingussie at Balmacara.

In the quarter finals of the Artemis MacAulay Cup, Kyles swept second-tier Glasgow Mid Argyll aside 5-0 at Tighnabruich.

The derby at Kiltarlity was goalless in the first half. But, early in the second, Glenurquhart got the breakthrough when Connor Golabek lifted a beautiful ball into the goalmouth that eventually fell to Lewis MacLennan, who scored from 10 yards out.

Michael Brady hit the bar for Glen, but Lovat, fresh from inflicting Newtonmore's first defeat of the season, revived and pressed for an equaliser. They got as far as the penalty spot, but a reflex save from "Smacks" won the day for Glenurquhart, who are now looking for further progress in what has become a tighter bottom four.

Jordan Murchison drew first blood for Skye with a penalty, but Bryan Simpson equalised and Seumas Gall gave Fort a rare lead in the second half. However, Fort William's hopes of a first victory were dashed three minutes from time when Murchison tied up the game.

This is Skye's sixth draw in their seven league games, so the island side, like their opponents, still await their first victory.

At the Eilan, Newtonmore's Iain Robinson opened the scoring just after the half hour and Zander Ferguson got an equaliser for Lochaber. Glen MacKintosh and Chris Sellar then sealed the points for the champions in the second half.

With goals from Oliver MacRae in the first period, and Keith MacRae, John MacRae and Jordan Fraser in the second, Kinlochshiel breezed to a 4-0 lead before Savio Genini got a consolation for Kingussie at the death.

In the MacAulay tie, Gordon Whyte had Kyles 2-0 up within quarter of an hour before Sandy MacKenzie made it 3-0 at half time and Robbie MacLeod then Grant Irvine completed the job.

Inveraray swamped Ballachulish 8-0 to go top of the Marine Harvest National Division. They are two points clear of Kilmallie, 5-2 winners over Inverness and Beauly, who ousted Bute 5-0. However, Beauly and Kilmallie have one and two games in hand respectively.

Top Stories