Shinty: Oban in first Camanachd Cup final in 15 years as Newtonmore close in on title

Oban Camanachd against Lochaber
Oban Camanachd beat Lochaber 4-2 at Taynuilt

A 4-2 defeat of Lochaber at Taynuilt sent Oban Camanachd through to the Camanachd Cup final in Fort William on 17 September, when they will meet Newtonmore.

For Oban, who last won shinty's top award in 1996, this will be a first Camanachd final for 15 years.

Meanwhile, Newtonmore further strengthened their grip on a likely seventh consecutive Marine Harvest Premiership title with a 6-0 home win over Fort William, who were officially relegated.

Kinlochshiel continued their pursuit of the champions with a 3-0 victory over Glenurquhart at Balmacara, as did Kyles, who beat Kingussie 4-2 at The Dell.

Glenurquhart's loss means they remain candidates for the second relegation place, as do Skye, who lost 3-1 to Lovat in Kiltarlity.

Glasgow Mid Argyll's National Division title hopes took a knock when they failed to leapfrog leaders Kilmallie thanks to a goalless draw away to Caberfeidh.

At Taynuilt, Andrew McCuish opened early for Camanachd. Ben Delaney equalised, but just a minute later, McCuish put Oban ahead again.

Into the second half, Daniel MacVicar and Daniel Cameron put the tie beyond Lochaber, who did get one back when Delaney scored his second.

It took half an hour for Newtonmore to break down Fort William, but Connor Jones opened the flood-gates before Jamie Robinson, Neil Stewart, Fraser MacKintosh and a Norman Campbell double completed the rout.

For Fort William, this was confirmation of the relegation that had looked inevitable for several weeks.

A Keith Macrae first-half double and a goal from Jordan Fraser against Glenurquhart maintained Kinlochsheil's fine season.

Roddy Young and James Falconer responded to Calum Miller's opener to give Kingussie a 2-1 lead in advance of a late Kyles comeback.

Roddy Macdonald, Scott Macdonald and Sandy Mackenzie all scored in the last 15 minutes to take the points to Tighnabruich.

All the goals at Kiltarlity came in the final quarter of the game when Graeme MacMillan opened for Lovat and Will Cowie equalised.

However, Skye's hopes of a point were dashed by late strikes from Greg Matheson and Euan Ferguson.

Newtonmore now lead Kinlochshiel by four points and with two games in hand.

At the bottom, Skye currently occupy the second relegation place with a game in hand and are a point behind Lochaber, who trail Glenurquhart by a further two.

Glasgow Mid Argyll's inability to score against Caberfeidh means that they are a point adrift of National Division leaders Kilmallie when victory would have sent them top on goal difference.

The two sides, in what looks like a two-horse race, are now level on points.

Beauly's challenge probably evaporated when they could only come from behind to draw 1-1 with struggling Bute.

Inveraray remained in equally distant contention with a 5-0 home win over Ballachulish.

Top Stories