Aljaz Bedene and James Ward knocked out of Aegon Open

James Ward
James Ward reached a career-high ranking of 101 earlier this year

British pair Aljaz Bedene and James Ward have both been knocked out of the Aegon Open in Nottingham.

Slovenia-born Bedene, who became the British number two when he switched allegiance in March, lost 7-6 (7-4) 6-4 in his second-round match against French eighth seed Adrian Mannarino.

Ward was beaten in his rain-delayed first-round match against Tim Smyczek.

Top seed David Ferrer lost 6-2 7-6 (7-4) in his second-round match against Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Baghdatis looks to serve up sunshine

"Marcos was better than me. He played more hours on court and had more confidence in his game," Spain's Ferrer, ranked seventh in the world, told BBC Radio Nottingham.

"For me, the first set was difficult because it was the first set back on grass. I didn't have too many days of practice on this surface."

British number four Ward, 28, lost 1-6 7-6 (7-3) 6-1 when he resumed against American Smyczek at 1-6 5-4 after their match was suspended on Monday.

The Londoner survived three set points at 6-5 in the second before Smyczek, 27, levelled by winning the tie-break.

The world number 72, ranked 38 places above Ward, won the first four games of the final set before sealing victory.

"I'm obviously disappointed," Ward told BBC Radio Nottingham. "I'll go back and watch the match, see what went wrong, move on from there, brush up and get ready for Wimbledon next week.

"The more you play on grass, the better it is."

Second seed Gilles Simon saved three match points before beating Marcel Granollers 4-6 7-6 (7-3) 7-6 (7-0) in three hours and nine minutes.

Spanish third seed Feliciano Lopez also reached the third round with a 6-3 6-3 win against American teenager Taylor Harry Fritz, but Serbia's Viktor Troicki - beaten by Andy Murray in the semi-finals at Queens last week - lost 6-4 6-2 against unseeded Sergiy Stakhovsky.

British pair Jamie Murray and Dom Inglot - seeded fourth - were beaten 6-4 6-2 by Lukasz Kubot and Max Miryni in the men's doubles.

Wimbledon 2015 on the BBC
Live coverage across BBC TV, radio and online starts on 29 June with 153 hours of tennis scheduled and up to 15 live streams available.
Read more: BBC coverage bigger than ever and TV and radio schedules.

Top Stories