Australian Open: Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares 'fear nobody'

Bruno Soares and Jamie Murray
Bruno Soares and Jamie Murray are confident ahead of their Australian Open quarter-final

Jamie Murray says he and partner Bruno Soares fear nobody after reaching the quarter-finals of the men's doubles at the Australian Open.

Murray and Soares defeated Dominic Inglot and Robert Lindstedt in straight sets early on Monday morning.

"There are plenty good teams in the tournament, but we fancy our chances against whoever is on the other side of the net," Murray told BBC Scotland.

"If we can keep putting in good, solid performances we'll be tough to beat."

The duo, who prevailed 6-3, 6-4, will face Raven Klaasen and Rajev Ram of South Africa and India respectively, who overcame the American Bryan brothers.

Murray and Soares are fourth on Court Two, with play beginning at midnight, UK time, on Monday night.

"They're good players, we played them two or three times last year," said Murray of his opponents. "It'll be a tough match, they've been playing well since they started teaming up together and I'm sure they'll be confident after today's match.

"We're on a bit of a roll just now; we're playing a lot of good tennis."

Jamie Murray and Katarina Srebotnik
Jamie Murray and Katarina Srebotnik have reached the quarter-finals of the mixed doubles in Melbourn

Murray has also reached the last eight of the mixed doubles with Katarina Srebotnik of Slovenia, where he will meet Soares and Russia's Elena Vesnina.

"It's a serious competition, it's another chance to win a Grand Slam," he said. "I was fortunate enough to win one a while ago.

"It's a cool event, it's fun to play, it's a bit less pressured than men's doubles. I enjoy it, it's a bit more relaxed."

Meanwhile, mixed doubles pair Lukasz Kubot, from Poland and Andrea Hlavackova, of the Czech Republic, have confirmed they were approached by the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) after their straight sets win over Spain's David Marrero and Lara Arruabarrena at the Australian Open.

Online bookmaker Pinnacle Sports had reportedly suspended betting on the match 13 hours before it started, after larger than usual sums of money were placed, most of them on the Spanish pair to lose. They were defeated 6-0, 6-3 in 49 minutes in the first round on Sunday.

"If it's true that stuff's happening it's a shame for the sport, but I don't know what's going on," said Murray.

"Certain bookmakers were a bit suspicious of certain things that were going on, but that doesn't mean people are necessarily guilty. Hopefully if it is happening the tour has got people in place to stamp that out.

"You obviously hope that the powers-that-be take it seriously - I'm sure they are - and I'm sure if it seems it is a larger issue, you hope they're doing their best to solve it and make sure we've got a clean sport."

Top Stories