Forms of identification: Anthony Bourdain
Anthony Bourdain in the jungle of Brazil's Cumbu Island. (Courtesy of Travel Channel)
Irreverent responses from our favourite travel ninjas.
Name: Anthony Bourdain
Title/bio: Host of No Reservations on Travel Channel
Current project: Currently filming new series for Travel Channel, The Layover
Born in: New York City
Currently living in: New York City
1. Where would you rather be right now?
Under a shade tree in the Spanish countryside, nibbling on Iberico ham, drinking rough local wine, contemplating a thick pile of to-be-read books and watching my daughter play in the garden.
2. Famous person (dead or alive, real or fictional) you’d most like to go on a trip with:
3. Tourist must-see you think is actually a “must skip”:
4. Everyone asks what’s #1 on your list of places you want to go before you die. But what’s your #3?
5. You’d be mortified if people knew you did what when you travelled?
Ate airport food. Occasionally. When desperate.
6. Your most stranded, “oh-my-[deity]” travel moment:
2006 war between Hezbollah and Israel. Literally stranded. More like trapped.
7. Best (or worst) person/people you’ve had to sit next to while travelling:
Never matters. I knock myself out with sleeping pills when flying. But did find myself being driven across the Sahara by a guy who played nothing but Judy Collins' greatest hits over and over again. THAT was pretty awful.
8. If someone was visiting your town, what’s the one thing you’d show them?
New York delicatessen. Russ and Daughters. Katz's.
9. Travel-related invention you wish existed:
Transporter. Like in Star Trek
10. Your most embarrassing travel faux pas:
Making the "A.O.K." sign with thumb and forefinger means something else entirely in Brazil and Turkey. More of an invitation to a butt-rogering.
11. Material thing you miss the most when away from home:
The ability to pick up the phone and get any kind of food delivered at any hour. Also cable TV.
12. Most unique souvenir:
A Hezbollah desk set from their gift shop.
13. Best celebrity encounter while travelling:
Bill Murray. He came on the show. Sean Penn who was also on the show.
14. Most unusual item you have travelled with:
Kwik-Clot, a compound used for temporarily stopping arterial bleeding.
15. Coolest mode of transport you’ve taken:
16. The place you don’t want anyone to know about but are willing to divulge here:
Montevideo, Uruguay. Medellin, Colombia.
17) Travel-related film or book that inspires you to pack your bags:
The Quiet American by Graham Greene. Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry.
18) Lay on us a priceless bit of travel advice or wisdom:
Never eat on the plane. Eat the street food. Drink with strangers. Ignore the concierge's advice at all costs. Be grateful. Be polite. And don't dress like a twat.