Forms of identification: Laura Michonski
Laura Michonski, the deputy digital editor for Budget Travel magazine, at Krka National Park in Croatia.
Irreverent responses from our favourite travel ninjas.
1. Where would you rather be right now?
In Australia, diving the Great Barrier Reef.
2. Famous person (dead or alive, real or fictional) you’d most like to go on a trip with:
Exploring South America with Hiram Bingham, the inspiration for Indiana Jones.
3. Everyone asks what’s #1 on your list of places you want to go before you die. But what’s your #3?
The Lapland in Finland. I want to watch the Aurora Borealis from within a glass igloo.
4. You’d be mortified if people knew you did what when you travelled?
Look over my shoulder fairly regularly. I have this somewhat irrational fear of being followed by unsavoury characters.
5. Your most stranded, “oh-my-[deity]” travel moment:
Being kicked off a train bound for Barcelona on the French/Italian border because the French conductor was on strike. I had to walk a mile in the wee hours of the morning to the nearest bus station and figure out my route from there.
6. Most unusual item you have travelled with:
A painting I purchased in France — it's not that unusual, but I had carried it with me for weeks across Europe, only to forget it in the airport restroom before I came home. I remembered it just as the plane was closing its doors and I convinced the flight attendants to hold the flight while I ran back to get the painting — amazingly it was right where I had left it!
7. The travel story you’ll never stop bragging about:
Horseback riding this treacherous mountain trail in the Andes — I was right up there with the condors, peering down miles below into the gorge and thinking that I might die, but loving every minute of it.
8. Lay on us a priceless bit of travel advice or wisdom:
Always program the phone number of your booking agency and the phone number of your destination’s local consulate before you leave home — you never know when you might need them!