Forms of identification: Katy Lynch
Katy Lynch, the community manager for Where I’ve Been.com, on Eigg in the Scottish Inner Hebrides.
Irreverent responses from our favourite travel ninjas.
1. Where would you rather be right now?
On a beach sipping a frozen margarita. It’s starting to get chilly here in Chicago. My pale skin is aching for a tan!
2. Famous person (dead or alive, real or fictional) you’d most like to go on a trip with:
John Lennon. He’s intelligent, talented, funny and full of life. He’d be a blast to travel with! And, if we ever got stranded on a remote island, he would sing to me and all would be right with the world.
3. Tourist must-see you think is actually a “must skip”:
Brighton Pier in the UK – I visited in 2010 and wish I hadn’t. It’s dirty, overcrowded and overpriced (rides and food). Brighton is such a cool place with a lot of character, but the pier really ruined the experience for me. Steer clear of this tourist trap!
4. Travel-related invention you wish existed:
Submarine travel. It would be awesome to travel from the US to the UK in a giant, fast submarine. Hurry up, Richard Branson! Make this possible in 2012!
5. Your most embarrassing travel faux pas:
Forgetting my passport upon arrival at the airport… TWICE! (Slaps forehead)
6. The place you don’t want anyone to know about but are willing to divulge here:
Alright, alright. I’ll tell you about my hidden gem. It’s a cocktail lounge called The Violet Hour in Wicker Park, Chicago. The bar is underneath the Damen [elevated] train station. Every couple of months the outside of the bar is painted and the front door is very hard to find (intentionally!). Locals know of its existence, tourists rarely do.
Best drinks in the city. Hands down.
7) Travel-related film or book that inspires you to pack your bags:
If you haven’t seen The Beach, you need to download it! It is a phenomenal movie with a great cast. Makes me want to travel to Ko Phi Phi Leh (Thailand) right now!