Forms of identification: Annie Fitzsimmons
Travel writer Annie Fitzsimmons in a market in Peru’s Sacred Valley of the Incas.
Irreverent responses from our favourite travel ninjas.
Name: Annie Fitzsimmons
Title/bio: Travel Writer. Hotel obsessed. New Yorker.
Twitter/website: @anniefitz | anniefitzsimmons.com
Born in: Boston, Massachusetts
Currently living in: Greenwich Village, New York City
1. Where would you rather be right now?
These are all places I am desperate to visit soon: St Bart's, Scotland, Cape Town, Istanbul, Tokyo
2. Famous person (dead or alive, real or fictional) you’d most like to go on a trip with:
It would have to be someone who knows and loves food: Ina Garten, Giada de Laurentiis or Nigella Lawson
3. Tourist must-see you think is actually a “must skip”:
Pisa, hands down. If you go, go for 30 minutes, snap a photo and leave.
4. Everyone asks what’s #1 on your list of places you want to go before you die. But what’s your #3?
Sicily. I've heard so many fantastic things about Sicily.
5. Your most stranded, “oh-my-[deity]” travel moment:
I was stuck in Frankfurt airport for three days once when an unnamed airline went on strike. After the third day, tear-streaked and dirty, I went up to the counter for the umpteenth time, starting sobbing and told them I was getting married that weekend and had to get home. I wear a Claddagh ring, so they believed me – within minutes I was booked on an alternate airline's flight home. I don't even care that I lied – I had been on the road for weeks and was so ready to get home.
6. Best (or worst) person/people you’ve had to sit next to while travelling:
I try never to talk to people on aeroplanes – a simple, kind hello is the farthest I'll go. I want my own space, time and not to talk to anyone!
7. Strangest meal abroad:
Guinea pig in Peru. Never again! It's a delicacy to them.
8. If someone was visiting your town, what’s the one thing you’d show them?
One thing is absolutely impossible when it comes to New York City. But I'd make sure they had a William Greenberg black-and-white cookie, a sea salt caramel from Varsano's and a Baked by Melissa mini cupcake.
9. Material thing you miss the most when away from home:
Green juices from Juice Generation or Melvin's Juice Box. Melvin used to work at my local health food store, Lifethyme, but since he left, I don't go there anymore.
10. Best celebrity encounter while travelling:
Diane Keaton at the Four Seasons Maui, Hawaii. We were at the beach at the same time every day and she had either a script or a copy of Vanity Fair [magazine] in her hands, walking up and down the beach watching her son play in the water. We would also eat breakfast at a table next to her – and I can't stop thinking about that Four Seasons Maui breakfast. Forget [the film] Annie Hall – she's the mom from [the film] Father of the Bride!
11. Travel-related film or book that inspires you to pack your bags:
Only You with Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr. I saw it in the cinema five times when I was 12. And I went to Le Sirenuse [on Italy’s Amalfi Coast], one of the resorts in the movie, this year, and geeked out over the pool and entire property. As a side note, they have some of the best smelling hotel lotion ever.