Young Thais are drawn by the big city lifestyle
- To hike the Fish River Trail you need to reserve a spot through Namibia Wildlife Resorts (NWR), the Windhoek-based company that administer access to the canyon. This costs 330 Namibian dollars per hiker. Park entrance only is 80 Namibian dollars per person.
- The Hobas campsite and accommodation at Ai-Ais Hot Springs Spa must also be booked in advance through Namibia Wildlife Resorts.
- Hikers must present a medical certificate of fitness from their doctor, valid within 40 days, and complete NWR’s indemnity form prior to commencing the trail.
- A good level of fitness is essential. Expect seven to eight hours of walking per day.
- No facilities are available en-route and hikers must carry all necessary equipment, medical kits, food and water.
- Water is normally available in the canyon, but purification tablets are recommended.
- Less experienced hikers can book a seven-day guided hike with the Cardboard Box travel shop in Windhoek.
- At the end of the trek, more luxurious accommodation is available at Cañon Lodge, located 20km from Ai-Ais and part of the Gondwana Collection of camps and lodges. They also offer mule trekking in the canyon.
CORRECTION: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the Grand Canyon is in Colorado. This has been fixed.