Irreverent responses from our favourite travel
Name: Annie Fitzsimmons
Title/bio: Travel Writer. Hotel
obsessed. New Yorker.
Twitter/website: @anniefitz | anniefitzsimmons.com
Born in: Boston, Massachusetts
Currently living in: Greenwich
Village, New York City
1. Where would you rather be right now?
These are all places I am desperate to visit
soon: St Bart's, Scotland, Cape Town, Istanbul, Tokyo
2. Famous person (dead or alive, real or fictional) you’d most like to go on a
It would have to be someone who knows and loves
food: Ina Garten, Giada de Laurentiis or Nigella Lawson
3. Tourist must-see you think is actually a “must skip”:
Pisa, hands down. If you go, go for 30 minutes,
snap a photo and leave.
4. Everyone asks what’s #1 on your list of places you want to go before you
die. But what’s your #3?
heard so many fantastic things about Sicily.
5. Your most stranded, “oh-my-[deity]” travel moment:
I was stuck in Frankfurt airport for three days
once when an unnamed airline went on strike. After the third day, tear-streaked
and dirty, I went up to the counter for the umpteenth time, starting sobbing
and told them I was getting married that weekend and had to get home. I wear a
Claddagh ring, so they believed me – within minutes I was booked on an
alternate airline's flight home. I don't even care that I lied – I had been on
the road for weeks and was so ready to get home.
6. Best (or worst) person/people you’ve had to sit next to while travelling:
I try never to talk to people on aeroplanes – a
simple, kind hello is the farthest I'll go. I want my own space, time and not
to talk to anyone!
7. Strangest meal abroad:
Guinea pig in Peru. Never again! It's a
delicacy to them.
8. If someone was visiting your town, what’s the one thing you’d show them?
One thing is absolutely impossible when it
comes to New York City. But I'd make sure they had a William Greenberg black-and-white
cookie, a sea salt caramel from Varsano's
and a Baked by Melissa mini
9. Material thing you miss the most when away from home:
Green juices from Juice Generation or Melvin's Juice Box. Melvin used to
work at my local health food store, Lifethyme, but since he
left, I don't go there anymore.
10. Best celebrity encounter while travelling:
Diane Keaton at the Four
Seasons Maui, Hawaii. We were at the beach at the same time every day and
she had either a script or a copy of Vanity Fair [magazine] in her hands,
walking up and down the beach watching her son play in the water. We would also
eat breakfast at a table next to her – and I can't stop thinking about that
Four Seasons Maui breakfast. Forget [the film] Annie Hall – she's the mom from [the
film] Father of the Bride!
11. Travel-related film or book that inspires you to pack your bags:
Only You with Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey
Jr. I saw it in the cinema five times when I was 12. And I went to Le Sirenuse [on Italy’s Amalfi
Coast], one of the resorts in the movie, this year, and geeked out over
the pool and entire property. As a side note, they have some of the best
smelling hotel lotion ever.