Học tiếng Anh: Bí quyết hạnh phúc của trẻ em Hà Lan?
Tin chính trong tuần (Phát trên BBC World Service ngày 18/01/2017):
Help for UK babies
Tempting bird-watchers to Uganda
The secret to Dutch children's happiness
Hãy bấm vào đây để nghe đoạn trích. Các bạn hãy nghe lại nếu thấy cần thiết.
Bấm vào đây để in bài khóa (file PDF)
Ultrasound like this is how all premature babies are scanned - but it doesn't always reveal what's gone wrong. New-borns are usually too fragile to be moved, but at the Royal Hallamshire the purpose built baby MRI is just metres from the special care unit. On the left is an ultrasound scan, on the right an MRI scan. It's much more detailed and gives doctors more diagnostic information.
This is where you'll find some of the world's most beautiful and rare species of birds. Mabamba swamp on the shores of Lake Victoria, is gaining a reputation as a top bird-watching spot. Uganda has over one thousand species of birds - that's more than the United States and Europe combined. The question is how to make money from this resource. One way is getting more bird-watchers and tourists here. And the numbers are slowly growing. Uganda is trying to position itself as a wholesome and safe destination.
Children in the Netherlands consistently rank among the happiest in the world, according to surveys by UN children's fund, Unicef. Chocolate sprinkles clearly contradict the healthy eating advice. And yet, Dutch kids have some of the lowest obesity rates. This may be linked to the fact that so many cycle to school. Bikes and cars have separate lanes. And when they get to school, Dutch pupils don't face academic pressure - things like tests and homework - until much later. Could this be the secret for happiness? Well, a happy child could grow into a happy adult.
Words and Phrases/Từ vựng
premature(before its due date): (sinh/đẻ) non, trước thời hạn, thiếu tháng
wholesome(benefit to someone's well-being): lành, trong lành, tinh khiết
obesity(state of being so fat that it is a risk to your health): tình trạng béo phì
Dùng một từ hoặc cụm từ ở trên để hoàn thành các câu sau. Chú ý là bạn có thể phải thay đổi dạng của từ hay cụm từ đó cho thích hợp.
premature / wholesome / obesity
1. Dentists in Britain have said the habit of eating cake and biscuits at work is fuelling __________ and poor oral health.
2. Despite their __________ nature, fresh green leaves and salad foods are often involved in food poisoning.
3. More space to treat _________ babies will be created at Wales' biggest hospital in a £7.5m modernisation plan.
Answers/Câu trả lời
1. Dentists in Britain have said the habit of eating cake and biscuits at work is fuelling obesity and poor oral health.
2. Despite their wholesome nature, fresh green leaves and salad foods are often involved in food poisoning.
3. More space to treat premature babies will be created at Wales' biggest hospital in a £7.5m modernisation plan.