Roles and responsibilities
- Kamal Ahmed is part of the News Group Board and in his role as Editorial Director he is responsible for the daily News Editors; Question Time; News Analysis and Explanation (including Reality Check and Long Reads); some of our biggest news brands for young audiences including Newsbeat and digital current affairs, including their work for BBC Three.
- He is also responsible for visual journalism which includes BBC News graphics and brand.
Last updated July 2019
As Editorial Director Kamal is responsible for shaping the BBC’s future editorial strategy, focusing on how we make our great journalism - and role explaining the news - more relevant to more people.
Since starting in January 2019 Kamal has overseen with colleagues major projects for BBC News including Brexit specials, the BBC’s work on impartiality in the modern world and the Ofcom News Review.
Kamal joined the BBC in 2014 as Business Editor, moving to the role of Economics Editor two years later. Prior to his career at the BBC, Kamal spent four and half years as business editor of the Sunday Telegraph and before that at The Observer as head of news and prior to this, its political editor.
Remuneration received in 2019/20
(as per Annual Report and Accounts disclosure)
Expenses and central bookings
Expenses are costs incurred by BBC staff on behalf of the BBC and claimed through the BBC's expenses system.
Central bookings are costs incurred on behalf of the BBC and booked through the BBC's central bookings system. Both expenses and central bookings are published every three months.
- Kamal Ahmed had no expenses paid in Q4 2019-20
- Kamal Ahmed had no central bookings in Q4 2019-20
- Kamal Ahmed’s expenses Q3 2019-20
- Kamal Ahmed’s central bookings Q3 2019-20
- Kamal Ahmed had no expenses paid in Q2 2019-20
- Kamal Ahmed’s central bookings Q2 2019-20
- Kamal Ahmed had no expenses paid in Q1 2019-20
- Kamal Ahmed’s central bookings Q1 2019-20
- Kamal Ahmed had no expenses paid in Q4 2018-19
- Kamal Ahmed's central bookings Q4 2018-19
- Kamal Ahmed had no expenses paid in Q3 2018-19
- Kamal Ahmed's central bookings Q3 2018-19
Gifts and Hospitality Register
Gifts and hospitality may only be accepted in line with BBC policy. Information about gifts and hospitality is published every three months.
- Kamal Ahmed's Gifts and Hospitality Register Q4 2019-20
- Kamal Ahmed’s Gifts and Hospitality Register Q3 2019-20
- Kamal Ahmed had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q2 2019-20
- Kamal Ahmed’s Gifts and Hospitality Register Q1 2019-20
- Kamal Ahmed had no gifts or hospitality to declare in 2018-19
Declaration of personal interests
Staff must make a declaration of their personal and business interests, including any memberships or directorships of public or industry bodies, and any shareholdings, as well as any interests that their immediate families may also have.
A summary is published where there is something to declare and where there is nothing to declare. Occasionally an individual will have something to declare but due to the personal nature of the declaration we do not publish details as to do so would breach the General Data Protection Regulation.
This information is published annually, although if any amendments are made during the year an updated summary will be published if necessary as soon as it is available.