Roles and responsibilities
- As one of the non-exec directors on the BBC Board, Shirley is responsible for upholding and protecting the independence of the BBC by acting in the public interest and exercising independent judgement.
- She is also responsible for ensuring that the BBC fulfils its mission to inform, educate and entertain and promotes its public purposes.
- Shirley helps ensure that the Board's decision-making is in the public interest, informed by the best interests of the audience and with appropriate regard to the impact of decisions on the wider media market in the UK.
- Non-executive directors play a key role in ensuring that the BBC maintains the highest standards of corporate governance, particularly with respect to financial reporting, internal control and risk management.
Term of appointment: 3 July 2019 - 2 July 2023
Shirley was Chief Financial Officer of Henderson Group plc, a FTSE 250 investment management company, from 2009 – 2013. She is currently senior independent director, deputy chair and chair of the Audit Committee at esure Group plc, and senior independent director and chair of the Risk Committee at Hargreaves Lansdown plc, the FTSE100 financial services business.
As well as working in financial roles, Shirley was previously Chief Operating Officer at Henderson Group plc and at Morley Fund Management (part of Aviva). She also served as a governor of the Peabody Trust housing association.
She graduated with a first in Economics and Accounting from the University of Bristol and is a qualified Chartered Accountant.
The appointment was made by the BBC Board, following a recommendation by the BBC’s Nominations Committee.
The fees for non-executive directors of the BBC Board are set by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport.
Non-executive directors receive a base fee of £33,000 per annum.
Shirley Garrood receives an additional £5,000 p.a. as chair of the Audit and Risk Committee.
Total fees paid each year: £38,000 per annum.
Expenses and central bookings
Expenses are costs incurred by BBC staff on behalf of the BBC and claimed through the BBC's expenses system.
Central bookings are costs incurred on behalf of the BBC and booked through the BBC's central bookings system. Both expenses and central bookings are published every three months.
- Shirley Garrood's expenses and central bookings will be published shortly.
Gifts and Hospitality Register
Gifts and hospitality may only be accepted in line with BBC policy. Information about gifts and hospitality is published every three months.
- Shirley Garrood's gifts and hospitality will be published shortly.
Declaration of personal interests
Staff must make a declaration of their personal and business interests, including any memberships or directorships of public or industry bodies, and any shareholdings, as well as any interests that their immediate families may also have.
A summary is published where there is something to declare and where there is nothing to declare. Occasionally an individual will have something to declare but due to the personal nature of the declaration we do not publish details as to do so would breach the General Data Protection Regulation.
This information is published annually, although if any amendments are made during the year an updated summary will be published if necessary as soon as it is available.
- Shirley Garrood's Declaration of Personal Interests will be published shortly.