Roles and responsibilities
- As one of the non-exec directors on the BBC Board, Tom is responsible for upholding and protecting the independence of the BBC by acting in the public interest and exercising independent judgement.
- He is also responsible for ensuring that the BBC fulfils its mission to inform, educate and entertain and promotes its public purposes.
- Tom helps ensure that the Board’s decision-making is in the public interest, informed by the best interests of the audience and with appropriate regard to the impact of decisions on the wider media market in the UK.
- Non-executive directors play a key role in ensuring that the BBC maintains the highest standards of corporate governance, particularly with respect to financial reporting, internal control and risk management.
Term of appointment: 3 April 2017 - 2 April 2020
Tom Ilube is a technology entrepreneur and educational philanthropist. He is currently CEO of cyber security firm Crossword Cybersecurity plc and has previously founded several start up technology businesses.
His 30-year career in the UK technology sector includes roles at PricewaterhouseCoopers, Goldman Sachs and the London Stock Exchange.
In his education work, Tom is Chair of the African Science Academy, the continent’s first all-girls science and maths school, and is an Advisory Fellow of St Anne's College, University of Oxford.
The fees for non-executive directors of the BBC Board are set by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport.
Non-executive directors receive a base fee of £33,000 per annum.
Tom Ilube receives an additional £5,000 p.a. as chairman of the Fair Trading Committee.
Total fees paid each year: £38,000 per annum.
Expenses and central bookings
Expenses are costs incurred by BBC staff on behalf of the BBC and claimed through the BBC's expenses system.
Central bookings are costs incurred on behalf of the BBC and booked through the BBC's central bookings system. Both expenses and central bookings are published every three months.
- Tom Ilube had no expenses paid in Q4 2018-19
- Tom Ilube's central bookings Q4 2018-19
- Tom Ilube had no expenses paid in Q3 2018-19
- Tom Ilube's central bookings Q3 2018-19
- Tom Ilube had no expenses paid in Q2 2018-19
- Tom Ilube's central bookings Q2 2018-19
- Tom Ilube had no expenses paid in Q1 2018-19
- Tom Ilube's central bookings Q1 2018-19
- Tom Ilube had no expenses paid in Q4 2017-18
- Tom Ilube's central bookings Q4 2017-18
- Tom Ilube had no expenses paid in Q3 2017-18
- Tom Ilube's central bookings Q3 2017-18
- Tom Ilube had no expenses paid in Q2 2017-18
- Tom Ilube had no central bookings in Q2 2017-18
- Tom Ilube had no expenses paid in Q1 2017-18
- Tom Ilube's central bookings Q1 2017-18
Gifts and Hospitality Register
Gifts and hospitality may only be accepted in line with BBC policy. Information about gifts and hospitality is published every three months.
- Tom Ilube had no gifts or hospitality to declare in 2018-19
- Tom Ilube had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q4 2017-18
- Tom Ilube had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q3 2017-18
- Tom Ilube had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q2 2017-18
Declaration of personal interests
Staff must make a declaration of their personal and business interests, including any memberships or directorships of public or industry bodies, and any shareholdings, as well as any interests that their immediate families may also have.
A summary is published where there is something to declare and where there is nothing to declare. Occasionally an individual will have something to declare but due to the personal nature of the declaration we do not publish details as to do so would breach the General Data Protection Regulation.
This information is published annually, although if any amendments are made during the year an updated summary will be published if necessary as soon as it is available.