Who was Elizabeth Fry?
This is Elizabeth Fry.
She lived over 200 years ago and helped people in prisons.
Find out more about her, below.
- Elizabeth Fry was religious and wanted to help people in need.
- She is most remembered for her work helping people in prison. She visited prisons that were dark, dirty and dangerous. She believed that prisoners should be treated with kindness.
- She also set up places where homeless people could get food and a place to sleep.
Do you remember what happened in Elizabeth Fry's life? Try the activity below.
Did you know?
- Elizabeth Fry was a Quaker, a member of the Society of Friends, a Christian group.
- Queen Victoria liked Elizabeth Fry and met her a few times. She gave Elizabeth money to help with her work.
- Elizabeth had 11 children and 25 grandchildren!