Who was Christopher Columbus?
This is Christopher Columbus. He lived over 500 years ago.
He is remembered as a famous explorer.
Find out more about him, below.
- Christopher Columbus was a sailor. His first voyage nearly ended in disaster as his ship was attacked and set on fire by pirates! Columbus only survived by swimming to land.
- He became famous as the explorer who found new lands called ‘The Americas’. But actually, many people already lived there.
- He found the Americas by accident! He was actually looking for a new way to get to China and India.
Do you remember what happened in Christopher Columbus' life? Try the activity below.
Did you know?
- Christopher Columbus is his name in English but he was born in Italy in 1451, so his real name in Italian is Cristoforo Colombo.
- Columbus wasn’t popular with his crew. They left him on the island of Jamaica. He nearly starved as the people on the island didn’t give him food.
- He brought back pineapples and turkeys from America.