Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
ISPs provide access to the internet. Commonly used ISPs include Sky, Virgin and BT but there are many more. Most offer the same basic package of internet access, email addresses and web space.
You need a web browser to view web pages. The most widely used are Internet Explorer and Firefox. All browsers will have a number of similar features to help you use the web such as:
- forward and back buttons to move between pages
- a history folder which stores details of recently visited web pages
- a stop button if a page is taking too long to load
- favourites and bookmark options to store often visited pages
- options to cut, copy, paste, save and print elements of web pages
A connection made to the internet will be either analogue or digital. It is important to know the difference between the two and the technologies they use.