In order for goal setting to benefit training the goals set should be S.M.A.R.T.
- S – Specific to the actual weakness and the conditions under which it is used in performance
- M – Measurable in that a starting point or level is established which can be compared to finishing level
- A – Achievable for the performer, ie the target is not too easy or too difficult
- R – Recorded in a format that will allow for accurate performance development monitoring
- T – Time set in order for training to be completed
The approaches chosen to impact on the development needs identified would depend on the factor, the feature and the activity.
Goals can be broken down into short-term and long-term.