Reasons for appeasement
There were many reasons why Chamberlain appeased Hitler, but here are the main ones:
- The British people wanted peace - they would not have supported a war in 1938.
- Many of Hitler's complaints appeared reasonable at the time - especially about the Treaty of Versailles.
- Chamberlain wanted a strong Germany to serve as a barrier against expansion by communist Russia.
- Britain's armed forces were not ready for a war, and they could not have helped Czechoslovakia anyway.
- Many people admired Hitler - in 1938, the American magazine 'Time' declared him 'Man of the Year'.
- Chamberlain remembered the slaughter of World War One - he thought another war would destroy civilisation.