Results of appeasement
The main results to come out of appeasement were:
- Czechoslovakia was weakened. Poland and Hungary took other land.
- Britain gained a year to build up its armed forces, but so did Hitler.
- Hitler decided that Britain and France were afraid of him and would not step in to stop him, no matter what he did.
- Russia decided that Britain and France would never stand up to Hitler, and that war with Germany was inevitable.
- The people of Britain realised that they had been duped, and decided that war was inevitable.
- It improved the war morale of the British people, who knew they had done everything possible to avoid war.