What is the present tense?
We use the present tense to talk about what is happening currently or in the present time.
The present tense is used:
- to say what you are doing right now – ich arbeite – I am working
- to say what you do regularly or always – ich schwimme jede Woche – I swim every week
- to describe something ongoing – ich spiele Fußball – I play football (this implies it is one of your hobbies)
- to express the near future – ich hole dir ein Eis – I'll get you an ice-cream
In German, there are two groups of verbs:
- weak, or regular verbs
- strong, or irregular verbs